IOS 8 + Old Routers = Slow WiFi?

Reaction score
Hi,

My WiFi download speeds are slower than my 4G and even 3G. I spoke to someone today and they say it can be that my router is too old. I bought my N1 Belkin router back in 2008-2009. He told me that for that reason it is not AC compatible. The new iPhone IOS 8 is more responsive to the AC routers he says. What's the validity of his statement?

M

MacInWin

A little truth, a lot of BS. It is technically true that if you define "responsive" as "speedy" then newer hardware is responsive. However, the most likely cause of your speeds being slow is that the iPhone and modem are on a WiFi channel with some other device and the two are interfering. Look for that other device on the router control page and move it to some other channel than what it is on and see if that helps with your speeds. And just out of curiosity, how is WiFi when NOT on your own network (i.e., a friend's or Starbucks, or whatever)? Your router is aging, and should be replaced soon, but it should work better than 4G and 3G speeds.

OP
S
Reaction score
I tested it out at the Apple store and it was fine (fast). The person who told me that was a rep at the genius bar

M

MacInWin

OK, so maybe it's time for a new WiFi router for you. But I'd still look for some interference on whatever channel you are using on the iPhone first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Okay, I can agree the router might be too old because they do start to drop in performance as they age. As to needing an 802.11ac router - right......not necessary. An 802.11n router would give excellent performance too. But if you have to get a new one certainly purchase an 802.11ac. Your overall final speed will be determined by your ISP connection.

Also checking what channel the router is broadcasting on is a valid point. Sometimes just changing the channel will solve a lot. If this is greek to you let us know and we will try to help.

Lisa

OP
S
Reaction score
I tested my iPhone 5S and 6 side by side on the same network. In every count of loading a page, the iPhone 5s beats the 6....
I also did a Speedtest in which the 5S exceeds the 6 about 5MBPS in DL speed

Last edited:
OP
S
Reaction score
Okay, I can agree the router might be too old because they do start to drop in performance as they age. As to needing an 802.11ac router - right......not necessary. An 802.11n router would give excellent performance too. But if you have to get a new one certainly purchase an 802.11ac. Your overall final speed will be determined by your ISP connection.

Also checking what channel the router is broadcasting on is a valid point. Sometimes just changing the channel will solve a lot. If this is greek to you let us know and we will try to help.

Lisa

I'll give that a shot before buying a new AC router. Basically, find out my IP address. Connect the blue phone cord from router to a laptop then insert IP address into internet browser. That should bring up the settings for the router. From there I will go into 'Channel and SSID'. Then simply trial and error the channel that gives optimal results. Correct?

Last edited:
OP
S
Reaction score
I just changed to 4 channels then at each one did a test between the 5S and 6, but same results.
Looks like I'm going to buy the AC router

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Be aware the AC will only give you a speed increase on your LAN between other devices that are AC compatible .
Try updating the firmware on your router.

OP
S
Reaction score
Be aware the AC will only give you a speed increase on your LAN between other devices that are AC compatible .
Try updating the firmware on your router.

In other words- It will increase the internet speed of devices that are AC compatible but not of the ones that aren't? As long as this does not slower the internet speed of non-AC devices then it is better than the current scenario isn't it? In short- my iPhone 6 is faster, while my non-AC devices remain the same.....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.