iOS 8 download now or later?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac High Sierra Mac OS 10.13.6
I usually like to wait a week or two when a new operating system is released so the bugs can be caught and I can download the next updated version. Is there any real reason to wait to download iOS 8 to my iPhone 5C now?

Sorry, When I posted this thread, I wasn't given the option (from a set list) to list it in 'iOS and Apps'. Administrator: Could you please move this post to 'iOS and Apps', thank you.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I usually like to wait a week or two when a new operating system is released so the bugs can be caught and I can download the next updated version. Is there any real reason to wait to download iOS 8 to my iPhone 5C now?

Hi Bob - well, you've answered your own question, i.e. you like a wait a little maybe even for the initial update release? Wife & I have iPads and so far I've not upgraded to iOS 8 - like you, I usually wait a few weeks - here & if you visit the iPad Forums, there are members complaining of a variety of problems, so I'm perusing these posts and likely will continue to wait - just no hurry for us. OTOH, my son has already upgraded his iPads & iPhones - so just a personal decision that you alone will have to decide. Dave :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

Sorry, When I posted this thread, I wasn't given the option (from a set list) to list it in 'iOS and Apps'. Administrator: Could you please move this post to 'iOS and Apps', thank you.

Moved it for you, thanks for asking. As far as updating to iOS 8, I'm usually an early updater, however, I always make sure I've backed up before doing so. I've updated my iPhone 5c and iPad 3 to iOS 8 and so far have not experienced any problems. Personally, I think iOS 8 is a great update. But of course it's up to you to decide.

C

chas_m

I'm not having any problems with iOS 8 here, but then I haven't tested every little thing. Unless there is a particular feature you don't feel you can live without, maybe wait for a point release or two. My understanding is that 8.0.1 will be out likely this week.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 27" iMAC 3 GHz Intel Core i5, 1TB HD, Radeon Pro 570X 4 GB graphics card, 8 GB DDR4 RAM
I guess it depends on what you are upgrading. I updated both our 32GB and 64GB iPad 2's and both are buggy as ****. Apps don't open (Facebook is horrible) some open then just hang and I have to power off to get the OS to respond, keyboard has a major lag from the time you hit a key to the time the letter appears and overall internet performance is SLOOOOW.

I reset both thinking that would help but it didn't. So we are forced to live with this until some future update, on the other hand is this an attempt to get folks with "older" 'i" products to buy newer models?

Frustrated in Illinois.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Like any major release, there are those that think it's amazing and those that think it's terrible. Your best bet involves two things. One, maybe wait it out a few weeks as iOS 7 is more than capable. Two, read the reviews and focus on those elements critiqued/lauded that are direct relevance to you. Don't care about any new bugs that might come up with using third party keyboards? Don't worry about it. Care about issues with extensions? Maybe hold off for a bit.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac High Sierra Mac OS 10.13.6
I guess, after reading the very good informed replies, I was wondering where iOS 8 falls on the continuum of on one hand being relatively glitch-free to the other hand of having lots of problems and corrections needed.
I'm sure not all updates are equally the same.

Bob M.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The key to updating Bob is always make sure you have a point in time to fall back to in case things don't go right. That means backups! Most of us learned that lesson a long time ago dealing with Microsoft Windows and its many update glitches over the years.

C

chas_m

I can only report my own experience with my iPad 3.

On the first install of iOS 8, which I foolishly attempted to get on the first day, the iPad was rather "stuttery" and a bit crashy.

Next day, reinstalled. No further issues.

Then 8.0.1 came out. The issues that caused it to get pulled only affected the iPhone 6, so it was gone before I could update it.

8.0.2 came out today. I downloaded it, but the process got interrupted. Had to connect to iTunes on my Mac by USB and do a restore. Now it's working just fine.

Moral(s) of the story: trying to update on the first day is probably a dumb idea, and it's important to have updated backups in case something goes wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Downloaded 8.0.2 on both pad and phone so far no problems .

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.