iOS 8.0.2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
I can't install iOS 8.0.2 without deleting items in Usage Settings. There I find that my newspaper is using 2.7 GB. If I go to my iPad in iTunes from my iMac it says that only 14Mb is being used by my newspaper. Why the discrepancy and what can I do about it?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The newspaper app may only be 14MB but all the saved items that you've read and have not removed are likely taking up the 2.7GB of space. Clear out everything that you have saved from the newspaper app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Try shutting down your iPad, wait a minute and then start it up again and see if the amount changes.

There are lots having the same problem with a web search on ipad Usage inaccurate

Or maybe try doing the update install via iTunes with your iPad connected to your Mac. It doesn't need as much space as an over-the-air (OTA) update if that's what your using.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2 iMacsOSX13.6.4;10.13.6;iPhone SE2 17.3.1;SE1 15.8;iPadMini15.8;iPadAir 2 15.8
Thanks pm-r. The first option didn't change things. The second worked after one failed attempt. As far as chscag's suggestion goes my newspaper automatically deletes editions after a week but I confess that I don't know how to delete manually.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Thanks Alwyn for your feedback and I'm glad it all worked.

I'm fairly new to this iOS stuff with an older iPad 2, and keeping it's small 13± GB available storage trimmed is a real challenge I find.

As for deleting surplus data I found all kinds of goofy suggestions including one wiki "How To" complete with pictures saying to delete the app and its data then download and reinstall it. They have to be kidding!!! :( :(

For your newspaper subscription, the newspaper or app site should have directions for deleting old issues and you can probably find them listed in the app you use, then in one of the views there should be a Red X or Delete or look for an Edit option and when selected, it should give you the option to select and delete the issue.

No need to delete the whole app and associated data, that's just stupid if that is the suggested method, but I doubt that it is.

PS: I finally got p'd off with Apple's restrictions and jailbroke my iPad and then proceeded to use iClean and iExplorer and was able to remove over 2GB of surplus languages and other unneeded junk. To H_ll with Apple's methods. ;) :D

Reaction score
Just a note for anyone willing to listen. It might help some of the installs...
I noticed the update to 8.0.2 on my 4s. My phone is a 4s with 6GB of storage. It wouldn't let me install due to storage space. I tried to install with my laptop and got the same error message (which I thought was strange). When I looked back at my phone to see the app storages, I noticed that the phone had "held" the update in my storage files. I removed the update from my phone storage and tried my laptop one more time. I was able to install without a hitch. I hope this info helps those who might be having trouble!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.