iOS 8.0.2 still has bugs!

Reaction score
I have an iPhone 5s and recently upgraded to iOS 8, then iOS 8.0.2. I am having problems with wi-fi connectivity and my apps run slow.

My wife has just purchased a new iPad Air and she is having similar issues with iOS 8.0.2.

We are both very, very disappointed with the new iOS 8.0.2 in that is still has bugs, and there has been two updates in the short time period since iOS 8 has been released. Loosing faith in Apple's ability to release stable and bug free operating system with each new version. tsk,tsk, Apple!

Anyone else experiencing these continued bugs and/or other bugs we should be watching out for?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Odd I don't have Wi-Fi connectivity issues or app speed issues on my iPad air or iPod Touch 5th gen.

The only issue I've had at all with iOS 8.x release thus far has been issues with third party keyboards that are easily fixed.

ps - you might want to ask a moderator to move this thread. It belongs in the iOS category, not OSX.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have both an iPhone 5C and iPad 3 running iOS 8.0.2 and haven't experienced any problems whatsoever. And actually we haven't heard of any "bugs" as you call it, with iOS 8.0.2. It sounds like your problems may be due to something regarding your local connection and not particularly iOS 8.0.2. And without any further information from you it's difficult to help you with any problems you may be having.

C

chas_m

No problems here either (with 8.0.2 running on an iPad 3 and iPhone 5s). But just FYI, neither Apple nor anyone else in the history of computing has ever released anything even close to a bug-free OS update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I'm experiencing occasional wi-fi drops with my iPad Air and my iPhone 5. Both running iOS 8.0.2. Also, I'll randomly get a phone call that shows up as "Unknown", but underneath that it says the call is from my phone. I'm calling myself? This happens maybe once a week or so, but it rings on my phone and my iPad Air. Even when I'm not using them and they're just sitting on the table and I'm in the other room. I'm on AT&T and I'm guessing it's a carrier problem. I understand first couple of iterations of an OS have bug and I'm not angry or anything. Just confirming that the OP is not the only one experiencing issues.

I had all kinds of weird problems with 8.0, but it's gotten better with 8.0.2. I'm hoping 8.1 will fix everything.

OP
K
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your kind replies.

Nethfel: I believe my post is already in the proper category since the menu at the top of the post shows:

Mac Forums > iPhone, iPad, iPod > iOS and Apps > iOS 8.0.2 still has bugs!

chscag: I followed the two links in you signature COMMUNITY RULES and Writing a Quality Post. There are quite informative. I do not have any more specifics to add to my post at this time. Mainly I am expressing my frustration with the issues we are experiencing and just wondering who else may be having similar issues or additional ones.

My family has been using Apple products for about 8 years, starting with two of my children. Then my other two, and finally Mom and Dad. I started with an iPhone 4s and my wife one of my children's MacBook Pro laptops when it was upgraded to a new model a year ago. Among us six we now own and use: 6 iPhones, Apple TV, 3 MacBook Pro laptops and accessories. My children range in age from 19 through 32 years old. I am 54 and my wife 55 years old. My oldest child is a software engineer for a very large multi-media house in Toronto so he is our tech guru alongside Apple Support. We do like the way all the devices work and the ability to stay in contact with each other seamlessly now that we all have Apple products.

I realize no company's products or software is perfect. Our personal experience though has been what we perceive as declining product (hardware) quality and increased Operating System (software) issues. With each newer version of iOS we have experienced an increasing amount of initial issues when the version is released, and each version is taking more updates to resolve these issues. On the hardware side, one of the MacBook Pros is on its third battery and the TracPad no longer functions; granted this is the oldest one now 5 years old. One that is less than a year old has already had a new battery replaced under warranty. As for iPhones we had no problems with our iPhone 4 versions. iPhone 5 versions, however, are a different story. We have had problems with four of the six we own, including high battery discharge rates (yes we keep all apps off when they are not in use), one battery replacement (under warranty), non-functioning lock/unlock buttons, and some crazy software issue(s) with one iPhone that even Apple still does not know what the cause is. That phone was replaced five times over a three month period last winter, always under warranty (thank goodness), always for the same issues; internet connectivity. What a frustrating experience for my child who had to keep driving from University where she was living to the nearest Apple Store which is 198 km away. Service via phone support was unsuccessful at correcting the issues, so she was instructed to bring the phone in person to the nearest Apple Store each time for replacement.

And now my wife and I are experiencing issues with iOS 8 and its updated version iOS 8.0.2. Our children are staying with iOS 7. And we are all questioning whether we should upgrade to iPhone 6 or iPhone 6+ because of what we are hearing from friends who have bought one and various on-line postings regarding bending, internet connectivity, not really any higher battery charge longevity, and slower than purported speed of the A8 chip running the phones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
I understand your apprehension. Why not wait a couple weeks until 8.1 is released and see if people report it fixing their issues? As I've mentioned, mine are minor and have improved a little with the last update. I'm anticipating 8.1 to resolve my wi-fi connection issues. NO ONE can make a perfect OS. There will always be some bugs at the beginning. Apple is diligent about addressing those, so hang in there.

C

chas_m

There are literally dozens of completely independent sites that run tests like this for a living (AnandTech, Tom's Hardware and Ars Technica to name but three of the best-known ones) that will happily provide you with hard evidence that the claims you have heard about the iPhone 6 are, in the words of T-Mobile CEO John Legere, "horse(censored)."

He, in fact was speaking about the so-called "bendgate" non-issue. You can view his comments here, they're quite candid and refreshing but not kid-friendly:

T-Mobile CEO John Legere says iPhone 6 demand 'unbelievable,' not affected by bogus 'bendgate'

Yes, you can bend an iPhone 6 if you are strong, try REALLY hard, and are an idiot. Even more shocking, if you throw a laptop against a brick wall, it will usually stop working! Also, if you spill liquids into the keyboard of a $3,000 MacBook Pro, you will ruin it! How fragile is that?! It's an outrage! Thanks, Obama!

(and so on)

Here's some more reading for you:

Consumer Reports: iPhone 6 'bending' controversy overblown | Electronista

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 delivers poor graphics performance vs. Apple iPhone 6 Plus

Speed test on flagship phones shows off iPhone 6 hardware | Electronista

Reaction score
I have noticed that since my iphone 5s updated to 8.02, the bluetooth connection, when playing music to my jambox, has intermittent lapses in the music, where the song just stops and then takes up again later in the song. Never had the problem before. I am guessing there has been some change to bluetooth from the update, but can't say for sure.

Reaction score
Since updating my iPhone 5 to iOs 8.02 it runs out of battery in a few hours. Very very disappointing! Never had any trouble before and I can't find the issue.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Since updating my iPhone 5 to iOs 8.02 it runs out of battery in a few hours. Very very disappointing! Never had any trouble before and I can't find the issue.

Just the opposite here with my 5c. My battery life has been extended. Double tap your home button to see what you have running in the background. Sweep upward to close each app until nothing is left but your desktop. That might help to preserve the battery.

Reaction score
Just the opposite here with my 5c. My battery life has been extended. Double tap your home button to see what you have running in the background. Sweep upward to close each app until nothing is left but your desktop. That might help to preserve the battery.

I did all that several times, there's nothing running more than necessary I'm afraid. But thank you anyway. Soon I will be buying the 6 and empty this one completely for my daughter, hoping that will solve the problem..

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
annaM, this is just anecdotal and not supported info but I friend of mine reported a similar problem with her 5s. She took it to an Apple service centre who (she says) admitted that there had been some problems with the battery on this modal and although she was one month out of warranty they replaced the battery free of charge. She has had no problems since.:\

Reaction score
I am having a FaceTime problem with the upgrade to iOS8.02.
They just blank out 1 min later, quick blue screen then the apple logo appeared... just hanged!
BTW, I am using iPad Air.
Anyone have such problem?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.