internet supplier

Lar

Reaction score
I am using Futurequest which is good but they don't know Apple OS-X. I have another user who uses Windows. Who would you recommend? Thank you.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Assuming you're talking about an ISP. In my opinion it really doesn't matter. Most companies don't know Apple equipment as well as they know Windows equipment. We Apple end users usually end up solving our own issues...either by ourselves...and/or via help from sources like Mac-Forums.:)

- Nick

p.s. Moved thread to better area.

OP
L

Lar

Reaction score
I should have mentioned that I recently had a stroke. Where did you move it? Thanks.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@Lar

Don't worry. No matter where an Admin or Moderator moves a post for better presence and more likely replies, you will always receive an email telling you when someone has posted to your thread. That email contains a Link. Click on it and you will find yourself in the right place on the Forum.

My sincere best wishes for a complete recovery from your recent stroke.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Here in Australia there are a number of Mac preferential ISPs. such as Internode, Aussie Broadband etc., so I imagine there would be many more in the USA. You have not specified a location so could not do a search. However here is one in NY:-

http://www.macconnect.com

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Where did you move it? Thanks.

In addition to what Ian mentioned...there are two other ways:

1. An easy way to see if threads you post have had new replies...is to click on the "New Posts" link in the upper left area of the Mac-Forums webpage. If your thread has received new replies...it will be listed in the "New Posts" list.

2. There's a "Moved" link in the old sub-forum where the thread was originally placed. It can be clicked on...and it will take you to the thread.

- Nick

OP
L

Lar

Reaction score
Here in Australia there are a number of Mac preferential ISPs. such as Internode, Aussie Broadband etc., so I imagine there would be many more in the USA. You have not specified a location so could not do a search. However here is one in NY:-

http://www.macconnect.com

Thanks. I am in northern NH but Futurequest is in Florida. Is macconnect ok for Windows? Thanks

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
FutureQuest is NOT an ISP, it's a web hosting provider. They are two very different things. Your "Internet supplier" as you put it is more traditionally known as Internet Service Provider (ISP). The ISP is the one that gives you a modem to get you onto the Internet. In the US, these are ISP's are also your TV/Phone provider..so Xfinity, Charter, RCN, Verizon FiOS, AT&T RoadRunner are a few of the traditional names. Google Fiber is JUST an ISP in some regions.

When it comes to website hosting, there are too many to count and they don't have anything to do with providing you an Internet connection, but have everything to do with hosting your website/email and so on.

So getting back to your question, what EXACTLY are you trying to figure out? Most websites are hosted on either Linux or Windows depending on the software that needs to run on it, so being familiar with OS X (macOS) is not really something that they need to worry about..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lar. Don't be overly hung up with needing a "Mac knowledgeable" internet supplier. Although it may be nice if more ISP's (Internet Service Providers) were more familiar with Mac's & Apple equipment...it is far from necessary. Many times everything is "plug & play"...or a very simple setup procedure. And...Apple makes things (setup) very easy as well (the Mac OS) when needed.

You may also find that if an ISP claims to be more Mac/Apple knowledgeable...they also have higher prices. Basically when you get a new ISP...you do the setup one time at the very beginning...and then you never deal with the ISP again...other than send them your money each month.;)

Now if you have a very special/specific situation (out of the ordinary)...where having a Mac knowledgeable ISP may be benificial. Then maybe having a Mac knowledgeable ISP might be useful. But I think this could be a rare situation. Like a business or university situation...where there are hundreds of Apple computers that may need some sort of special networking. Otherwise...almost any ISP will do.:)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Very definitely what Ashwin mentioned. BIG BIG difference between an ISP (internet service provider)...and a webpage hosting service.

- Nick

OP
L

Lar

Reaction score
I am trying to figure out who to use. Yes, an ISP. I want them to help me setup a Mac, an iPhone (both with the same email) and a Windows machine. Thanks.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hello again. I know that you mentioned having a stroke recently (sorry to hear that). I don't know how much this has affected your mobility & dexterity in terms getting your computer situation setup.

Depending what ISP you go with...they may or may not send a technician out to your home for the initial setup. Regardless...there are a lot of Apple products out there...and most ISP technicians can setup either computer type (Apple or Windows). If the ISP you choose doesn't send a technician out to your home for the initial setup (if they just send or give you the equipment)...there really is not that much to it. Almost anyone can do it.

Now if the side effects of the stroke make things physically difficult/impossible to do...and maybe this is why you need a more Apple knowledgeable ISP...I can totally understand. If this is the case...then the first thing you would want to make sure of is...that the ISP you choose sends a technician to your home for at least the initial setup (regardless if this is an Apple knowledgeable ISP or not).

HTH,

- Nick

OP
L

Lar

Reaction score
Nick,

Ok, a little more info. I do not want an ISP - I have one and he's fine. Instead I want an email provider and internet host. I can't seem to get emails on my iPhone. I have an iPhone 6. When I follow the **** directions it doesn't work and they don't seem to be able to help. I am going to try to sell my house this Spring and Summer. Also I use Fantastical for calendar functions. When I enter something in the Mac it ports to the iPhone ok but when I enter something in the iPhone it does not synch to the Mac. Any ideas? Thanks.
--

Lar

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Nick,

Ok, a little more info. I do not want an ISP - I have one and he's fine. Instead I want an email provider and internet host. I can't seem to get emails on my iPhone. I have an iPhone 6. When I follow the **** directions it doesn't work and they don't seem to be able to help. I am going to try to sell my house this Spring and Summer. Also I use Fantastical for calendar functions. When I enter something in the Mac it ports to the iPhone ok but when I enter something in the iPhone it does not synch to the Mac. Any ideas? Thanks.
--

Lar

Hey...come on Lar. You said in post #11..."Yes, an ISP.";) Now you say "I do not want an ISP." No problamo...just teasing. I know sometimes this can be confusing.:)

I really don't think you need or want an "email provider" or "email host". If all you need is to get emails on your iPhone...and you're not getting them currently. Then you either need to:

- Setup an email account or two (if you don't have them already).
- Maybe there's a setting on your iPhone that needs to be adjusted.
- Maybe there's a netwrok setting on your iPhoine is needs to be adjusted.

Sounds to me that you very likely already have everything you need to get emails on your iPhone...and maybe it just a settings issue. If you get emails on your other devices (computers or tablets...if you have them)...then there's really no reason not to get emails on your iPhone.:)

- Nick

OP
L

Lar

Reaction score
Yeah, I was confused about an ISP! I can live with my ISP and I can live with FutureQuest, but when I tried to get an email account on my phone, I couldn't. If there is a setting somewhere that needs to be changed, what is it? Also, the fantastical issue seems to be iCloud. I don't know what it is. Seems like an iPhone is a common thing. Thank you!
--

Lar

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"Confusion" I would say is the #1 hurdle here.;)

I think before we proceed...some additional info would be helpful...which may save us a lot of time as we work thru this:

1. Do you currently have an email account that you receive emails from on other devices (devices other than your iPhone)?
2. If "yes" to #1...are you successfully getting these emails on other devices on your home WiFi network?
3. If "yes" to #2...on your iPhone do this:

- Open "settings".
- The 2nd item in the "Settings" list should be "WiFi".
- In this "wifi" area...is the Wifi "on" or "off".
- If "on"...do you see the name of your home network?

4. Do you have some sort of data plan/phone plan for your iPhone? Just checking...since probably 99% of folks do. What sort of plan is it? You don't need to be super specific. But what company is it with...do you have a data limit (gigs of data/month)...or do you have unlimited data?

With this info we should be able to proceed.

- Nick

p.s. Forget about "iCloud" for the moment.;)

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
@Lar

I can't seem to get emails on my iPhone. I have an iPhone 6

I truly understand your frustration at not being able to get email on your iPhone 6.

I’m going to take you through a number of steps so you may wish to leave this till you’ve got the time. And I accept that you may have done this ten times already!

Unlock your iPhone. Tap on Settings. Now scroll down to Mail and tap on it.

First up is Accounts. Tap on it. This will show you all Accounts recognised by the phone. That is; iCloud and your ISP email Account.

Let’s start with iCloud. Tap on it. Here you find a list of options - iCloud Drive, Photos, Mail, Contacts, Calendars, Reminders, Safari, Home, Notes etc.

In each case, alongside the name, will be an option to toggle On or Off. In your case, Mail and Calendars, at least, need to be On. The others are up to you.

Now go back to Mail Accounts by tapping on the < Accounts label top left. As well as iCloud, your ISP email Account should be shown. Let’s assume it’s showing***. Tap on it. Now you will see the email address. Below that is Incoming Mail Server. Make sure your Username ( your email address) is correct.

Then there is Password. Click on it and retype it. To be certain it is correct.

Going further down is Outgoing Mail Server. Tap on SMTP. Then Tap on what is shown under Primary Server. Now check that your Username is correct. Then Tap on Password and retype it. Just to be sure.

Then hit Done and Exit Settings. What we have done here is check that your Username and Password are correct for BOTH Incoming and Outgoing Mail Servers. We've also checked out your iCloud setting for sync purposes (Calendar especially).

***If your ISP email Account is not shown, you will need to add it by tapping on Add Account. But let’s stop here. Come back to us if it’s not there - or if you get stuck.

Ian

OP
L

Lar

Reaction score
I will answer your questions, but first I need to know if you are talking (Writing) about my Mac or iPhone. My iPhone uses wi-fi when home. I get email ok on my Mac.

Last edited by a moderator:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I will answer your questions, but first I need to know if you are talking (Writing) about my Mac or iPhone. My iPhone uses wi-fi when home. I get email ok on my Mac.

Yes. We are certainly talking about your Apple computer & your iPhone. You are the person we are trying to help.:)

- Nick

p.s. Removed your email info. No need to broadcast this info all over the internet...for possible scammers or spammers to use improperly.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If you are receiving email on your Apple computer just fine. Then the issue is almost certainly a setting issue on the iPhone. Follow the procedure that Ian (IWT) described above...and let us know how things progress.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.