internal HD not recognized...help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G4 Dual 1.25/768mb/240g
First off, I have a 1.25 dual mirror door G4. I have just installed a the Western Digital 7200rpm, 8mb cache, model # wd1600jbrtl. When I turned on the comp, it said something about an unrecognizable volume and gave me options to continue or initialize; I initialized. But the device doesn't show up on my desktop or finder. Disk utility recognizes, but i cannot access it. I had the drive set for cable select, then slave and it still doesn't recognize. Does anyone have any idea what I should do? I've read on here of people using this drive, so there must be something I'm missing. TIA

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
did you format it??? i picked up a HD the other day, wouldnt mount it until it was formatted

OP
b16crx69
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac G4 Dual 1.25/768mb/240g
okay...I'm pretty embarrassed. I finally did an "erase" disk using utilities. I'm assuming that this is how you format the drive. Anyways, it's all good now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
yes thats how you reformat it. its just that easy. just a note, if you want it to mount when your computer starts up, open system preferences>accounts>select your account in the left column, then select the startup items tab, and drag the mounted hd into the list.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.