Internal hard drive removal

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
It would help to know exactly which MacBook you are using. If the MacBook will boot, log into it and select About This Mac from the Apple menu in the upper left corner of the screen. That will give you information about your specific MacBook.

Once you know exactly which Mac you have, you can find repair instructions at ifixit.com

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How to remove internal hard drive from old white MacBook?

Welcome to our forums.

1. Remove the bottom panel.

2. Remove the battery

3. Remove the SATA connector from the drive

4. Slide the hard drive out being careful not to bend the guides.

That's it.

OP
R
Reaction score
It would help to know exactly which MacBook you are using. If the MacBook will boot, log into it and select About This Mac from the Apple menu in the upper left corner of the screen. That will give you information about your specific MacBook.

Once you know exactly which Mac you have, you can find repair instructions at ifixit.com

OP
R
Reaction score
Thank you for your response and suggestion.
No boot-up or login possible. But it is model number A1181 dated 2006
I found no relevant information on I fix it.

OP
R
Reaction score
Welcome to our forums.

1. Remove the bottom panel.

2. Remove the battery

3. Remove the SATA connector from the drive

4. Slide the hard drive out being careful not to bend the guides.

That's it.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thank you for your response. Your steps did not match my computer, but I figured it out eventually and pulled out the old hard drive. When I get my iMac back from the shop, I will try to test the drive to see if I can reuse it as a back up.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thank you for your response. Your steps did not match my computer,

That's strange because I used to own a 2008 White MacBook and the steps I gave you are exactly how I removed the old hard drive to replace it with a new one. You must have a different model. But glad you figured it out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Various Mac's
For the earlier white or black MacBook. Eject the battery, I used to use a coin in the slot, then turn to unlock. A metal L shaped bracket is exposed. Undo the 3 small phillps headed screws and remove the bracket. Pull on the tab to remove the drive. The HD is held in a thin carrier with 2 studs on each side securing it. Use a T8 torx driver to remove the studs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.