Intermittent iPod issues

Reaction score
For some reason I'm having intermittent iPod issues (USB) with my MBP. I basically get four scenarios when I plug my iPod into my mac:

1) It registers no problem, iTunes lauches, syncs and everything is good

2) The "Do not disconnect" screen comes on, however, the iPod is not recognized at all by my mac. (Doesn't mount it as a drive and iTunes does not recognize it)

3) It is connected fine, then all of a sudden will disconnect (still saying Do Not Disconnect) on the iPod.

4) It connects after about 5 minutes stating that I'm connected using USB 1.1 and acts quite unpredictable (sudden disconnects etc)

I've tried swaping cables, blowing away the iPod and rebuilding, even using a dock to see if it would solve anything and it doesn't. I'm really quite stumped and was wondering if anyone else has experienced a similar issue?

It's a 60GB Video running 1.2.1 formatted for Mac.

Thanks,

Reaction score
I have had similiar probs connecting my iPod where it doesn't mount on the Desktop and I put that down to something I did wrong, more than putting the iPod at fault. It's hard to explain when it hasn't happened for ages, but I just reset the iPod and all was well ...

Don't connect your iPod to any USB 1.1 connection as they need the USB 2 ports. USB 1 is mainly for keyboards/mice and is for less demanding peripherals.

You are probably well aware of this, but ensure that you don't disconnect your iPod when the "Do Not Disconnect" icon is flashing.

Hope this helps.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks for your response Pulse ..

I'm using a Macbook Pro, so, it only has USB 2.0 ports :)

When it says Do Not Disconnect I have no option but to disconnect is as I have no way to eject it. I have done the reset on it (select/menu) when it gets really hung up.

Sometimes I have to unplug and plug my iPod in 3-4 times before it is recognized on my Mac :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.