instant messaging

Reaction score
What do you guys use? I have Adium and really like that, but sometimes use iChat and never use AIM 4.7 for mac.

M

MacHeadCase

I don't chat much but when I do, I use iChat. I tried Adium for a while but found it to be a bugger when you simply want to exchange a screenshot file, it wouldn't work.

I tried a more recent version where that bug was supposed to be fixed and it didn't work either so I let it at that and never tried it again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
I use iChat, I like it's features (especially with Chax installed) and it's simplicity. I find Adium, although it has more features, much more of a task to set up and I still won't be happy with the way it looks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
I use Adium - Yahoo, MSN, AIM, Googletalk, and XFire.
@ Benjamindaines - you don't like the way it looks? Even with all the customizations available to change the appearance of the buddy list and chat windows??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
I use Adium - Yahoo, MSN, AIM, Googletalk, and XFire.
@ Benjamindaines - you don't like the way it looks? Even with all the customizations available to change the appearance of the buddy list and chat windows??
Nope, never found any combo I like.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
I don't chat much but when I do, I use iChat. I tried Adium for a while but found it to be a bugger when you simply want to exchange a screenshot file, it wouldn't work.

I tried a more recent version where that bug was supposed to be fixed and it didn't work either so I let it at that and never tried it again.

MHC, which version of Adium did you try?

I'm running Adium X 1.0.2 and it runs smoothly...none problem at all!

It's a shame that it does not support video chats...

Reaction score
What do you guys use? I have Adium and really like that, but sometimes use iChat and never use AIM 4.7 for mac.

I just made a change. Have been using Adium exclusively (so I can monitor all my friends/family - they are on different IM's). But, I also like iChat a lot - especially since I discovered that pictures in the address book show up in iChat (and email) so I took AIM off of Adium and now run iChat for AIM and Adium for the rest. Not particularly pleased with having to run two apps for the same thing, but until iChat decides to cover all of them..................

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I just made a change. Have been using Adium exclusively (so I can monitor all my friends/family - they are on different IM's). But, I also like iChat a lot - especially since I discovered that pictures in the address book show up in iChat (and email) so I took AIM off of Adium and now run iChat for AIM and Adium for the rest. Not particularly pleased with having to run two apps for the same thing, but until iChat decides to cover all of them..................

Oh, but it does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2,33GHz C2D 2GB RAM 256MB video + LCD Samsung 20" 206BW + Maxtor OneTouch III 500GB
Thanks for that info did not realize that. After reading all the steps, think I will hold off though: it sounds to "linuxey" to me. But I appreciate your telling me of this.

Hey Papa, give it a try, it's a piece of cake to get it running!

Just follow the instructions on the link, and you're fine!

There's just one problem. Apparently, file transfer and video chat does not work through jabber...unfortunately!

Reaction score
Hey Papa, give it a try, it's a piece of cake to get it running!

Just follow the instructions on the link, and you're fine!

There's just one problem. Apparently, file transfer and video chat does not work through jabber...unfortunately!

Ok - you talked me into it........if you hear a big explosion in the distance in the middle of the night you will know it is me and I am having problems.........

Reaction score
Ok - you talked me into it........if you hear a big explosion in the distance in the middle of the night you will know it is me and I am having problems.........

Finished! Successfully have iChat showing MSN IM!!!! Thanks!! Now, how do I add Yahoo?? I have an idea but thought I would check first. Too bad they took away the Rep - will have to give you 2 V reps!! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Finished! Successfully have iChat showing MSN IM!!!! Thanks!! Now, how do I add Yahoo?? I have an idea but thought I would check first. Too bad they took away the Rep - will have to give you 2 V reps!! :D
Same way you did for MSN ;)
In my experience, Jabber servers that offer MSN also offer Yahoo...

Reaction score
Skype and Adium. I never use iChat because it's an MSN world we live in.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I never use iChat because it's an MSN world we live in.

Hey man, did you notice the link in one of the previous post?

There's a way to use iChat to talk to MSN users...there's a step-by-step instructions in the link. give it a try, you'll like it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.