installing windows on imac

wbs

Reaction score
OK, I realize I'm committing sacrilege here. I would like to install Windows on my iMac (Yosemite). Uggh, I never thought it would come to this. But I need to run some CAD software at home, and none of them are written for OSX. Windows only. So I'm using bootcamp, an 8gig flash drive, and a Windows 7 disk to do it. I follow the instructions found online, and all goes well until Windows starts to install. I am instructed to chose which partition to put Windows on, and the correct partition is the 'bootcamp' partition. However, I get an error message which states that the partition has to be formatted 'NTSF', and i don't think that's possible. I haven't found the answer to this problem elsewhere. Anybody help me??

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
OP
W

wbs

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply, Nick. I read thru these, but they don't really address the issue I'm trying to resolve.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm going to assume here that your iMac has no optical drive, is that correct? You provided us with no info about your iMac except that it's running Yosemite.

If you followed all the Boot Camp directions, you should have a bootable flash drive with the Windows 7 iso on it. And you should have created a Boot Camp partition during the process. After the system reboots, you should be asked about which partition you wish to install Windows 7 on. Choose the Boot Camp partition, and then choose to format it as NTFS. Make sure you choose the correct partition and don't accidentally format your OS X partition. You also need to download drivers from Apple and place them on a flash drive so that they can be installed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.