installing SL on new hard drive after crash

Reaction score
Hi all,

My MBP (mid 2010) felt down and after that I experienced a very slow startup (around 15/20mins) and a disc error message (in Disc Utility) that can't be repaired.

I bought a new hard drive and I would like to install SL retail version that I have.

I correctly installed the new hard drive but I can't install SL. I tried the followings:

• reboot while pressing option button: it happens that I can only choose 'install from DVD' and when I do click on the icon, the grey apple comes out, the loading circle start turning and after 2-3 mins the systems asks me to press power button until the computer is switched off, then restart it without any difference
  • formatting the hard drive (using a different mac): it happens the same as previous point
  • rebooting without pressing any button: after some time 5 mins a message appears asking me to press power button until the computer is switched off, then restart it

Actually I don't understand why but installation doesn't start at all.

I don't know how to solve this problem and I can't find a solution on the Internet (please if you are aware of a similar post tell me)

BE

giorgio

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
It sounds like the new HD can't be accessed. Open up your MBP and recheck that all your internal connections are attached correctly.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If you dropped your MBP, it's possible the SATA ribbon cable which goes from the hard drive connector to the logic board has become loose or even dislodged. You'll need to open up the machine in order to check. The fall may have even damaged something else.

OP
G
Reaction score
Thanks, for comments. However:
It sounds like the new HD can't be accessed. Open up your MBP and recheck that all your internal connections are attached correctly.
Actually, if I connect the original HD, my mac takes 20 mins but it log me in -> for this reason, if I replace only the HD, there is only one connection to check. And it seems ok.

concerning:
The fall may have even damaged something else.
I thought that the optical unit was damaged. If I log in and insert SL Disc it says : "the disc you inserted was not readable by this computer". I tried to insert an audio CD and I can play it in Itunes normally. I also inserted a DVD movie (fargo very good one, but I have not the time to watch it again though). it seems that the optical drive works, however I was not able to eject both discs without shutting the system down because "the disc is in use by an application" even if this was not true. I thinks that's because the system is very very slow and it's not able to realize its current state.

SL disc can be correctly read by another computer (ubuntu).

When the system runs with the original HD everything is very very slow, however the system seems to work, maybe there is something I could do?

OP
G
Reaction score
Hi all,

I did solve the problem just by disassembling several parts of my MAC (RAM, Optical drive, HD), cleaning them (with air) and reassembling everything. I think that chscag was right saying that some connections were loose (this is strange though)

I'm writing from my MBP, thanks to all!

giorgio

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.