Installing printer driver

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 21.5 Imac all in one 2.7 GHz Intel core I5 OS X 10.5.9 8 GB Ram
I'm trying to install a driver for my new printer. It's an HP LaserJet P1102w. I'm running OS 10.10.1 Yosemite. In order to do that, I have to enter a password. Apparently there are several passwords you need on this 21.5 IMAC All in one computer. I've tried every password I've ever used and none of them work. I've changed the password several times and nothing works. I can't unlock my keychain either. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks!

M

MacInWin

OS X has a feature called Gatekeeper that prevents the installation of new applications, drivers, etc, without an Administrator's password. When you created your account, at the first boot, you should have been prompted to enter a password. By default, your own account is an Admin account, so your login password normally has sufficient authority to install applications and drivers. Ditto for keychain.

So, use the password for YOUR login.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Printer driver install

Thanks Jake, but I did that. I'm beginning to think there's some problem with my computer. I have reset my password several times and it works for a while and then it doesn't.

M

MacInWin

Thanks Jake, but I did that. I'm beginning to think there's some problem with my computer. I have reset my password several times and it works for a while and then it doesn't.
Passwords don't just stop working. Do you have any "cleaner" or "keeper" or Antivirus software on your machine? Any "add on" to your browser, or anything else that "helps" OS X?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Also, make sure you are logging into an administrator account not a managed account (parental controls enabled) or guest account.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Install printer

Thanks again guys!

I'm a little dubious of your saying that passwords don't work sometimes, but I'll accept your word for it. I'm wondering if I have a defective computer or OS. I did download CCleaner for Mac and Mackeeper, but I deleted Mackeeper. I have a keychain password and I can't keep it unlocked. It locks itself seemingly every time I do something different. I also have a little window that pops up all the time telling me it wants to use the keychain password for internet accounts.xpc, whatever that is. I'm frustrated beyond belief.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Chatted with HP tech support and they downloaded the driver to my computer, so all is well. Thanks for your help.

M

MacInWin

I did download CCleaner for Mac and Mackeeper,
And there you have it! Both of those are awful and should NEVER be installed. Period. Full stop. And removing them is hard, much harder than just deleting them. Did you properly uninstall both? Anything else going on you haven't mentioned? Any downloads from Softonic or CNET or Downloads.com? They all add crapware to their install packages.

Passwords don't change themselves. Something has to change them, either you or some malware you've installed or let be installed.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mackeeper doesn't show up anywhere on my computer except occasionally it pops up . I just cancel it and it goes away. I will delete CCleaner too. Thanks for the advice.

M

MacInWin

except occasionally it pops up
As an ad, or asking you to do something? If it's an ad, that's just the website, but if it's asking for permission to do something, you may still have it lurking under some non-obvious name on your system.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@mountainrivers:

I will delete CCleaner too. Thanks for the advice.

I just wanted to point out that CCleaner is a great app for Windows and is very reliable when using it there. It primary cleans bad registry settings and other junk that clutters the Windows environment. Keep in mind that Mac OS X is not Windows. Cleaners and AV software that work well for Windows usually do more damage than good when used in OS X.

M

MacInWin

Yeah, I'm not saying Cleaner is not good on Windows. But it causes problems on OS X and simply is NOT needed. Onyx does everything anybody should need.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I suspect it's lurking somewhere, but I can't find it. It wants to protect my computer, but I just delete it.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have deleted CCleaner from my Mac. Thanks for the information.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.