Installing osx

Reaction score
Trying to install os x on this new hard drive i have just put in my macbook. But after the language selection it comes up with an alert 'This software cannot be installed on this computer'

why??? The disks are original and were sealed, I have 3 disks, installation disk 1 and 2 and also a Leopard drop in DVD.

please help!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15.4" 2.4 Ghz, Core 2 duo, 4Gb RAM, 320 GB HD
juggler - did you format drive first?

You might need to format the drive as Mac OS Extended (Journaled) before installing Leopard. You should see a menu option at top bar during Leopard install that says disk utility. Use Disk Utility to format the drive to above mentioned type and then see if it will install OS X Leopard. Also, during install of Leopard, you can save space by not installing all the languages and all the printer driver stuff. It will save you over 1gb of drive space.

;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15.4" 2.4 Ghz, Core 2 duo, 4Gb RAM, 320 GB HD
Better install instructions for OS X 10.5

Step 1. Boot from the Leopard DVD (when you hear the chime, hold the "C" key until you see the apple appear on screen). You will get that scrolling circle for a minute or so (takes longer than booting from internal HD). After a few minute, (up to 5-10) you should be dropped into the Leo install menu.

Step 2. On the "Select Destination" screen, you'll see an Options button in the lower right corner. Choose Erase & Install. This will completely erase your hard drive and put on a fresh install of Leopard.

(If step 2 worked check to see drive is formatted as below) Go to Step 4.

If Step 2 did not work, go to Step 3.

Step 3. Click NEXT. At this point, you will have a menu across the top, select UTILITIES > Disk Utility. Select your hard drive and format it for Mac OS Extended (journaled). (never recommend to use case-sensitive +journaled option) Once that's done, close the disk utility (make sure to close the program, not just the window).

Step 4. Then continue on with the install. You will know it worked as it should when you can select your HD as an installable location for Leopard.

Step 5. To remove extra languages and extra printer drivers do this:
Once you get to the "Install Summary" screen, you'll want to click on the Customize button. Bottom left of install splash screen. This will allow you to uncheck all of the extra languages, fonts, printer drivers and applications that you do not need.

Here's a manual for Leopard install manual .pdf link:
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Leopard_Install-Setup.pdf

:Cool:

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply but it doenst work. I have formatted/partitioned the new disk already.
Can i just check, which disks do i use? i have two grey disks (1 and 2) and also a leopard disk which says 'drop in dvd' i have no luck with either disks though.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Maybe you should call up apple and ask to get replacement disk?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.