Installing original OS in Mid 2017 iMac

Reaction score
How would I change the OS in my Mid 2017 iMac back to the original OS or 10.13.6... most of my software will not work on the newer Operating systems, I don't want to start replacing everything I bought . I think I need to make a Thumb drive installer... how would I do that? any ideas..

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
For starters just try starting up holding shift - option - command - r
I think that will be included it Jake's attached link above but if you are lucky it's all you'll have to do.

You say most of your software will not work with your current macOS so I assume you have 32bit apps that no longer work since the Catalina upgrade. That being the case you really only need to go back to Mojave.
The macOS that came with the 2014 Mac was Yosemite so you could then upgrade from there.

If you elect to go the way of the bootable USB installer on a thumb drive you will need to erase your present internal drive because Apple does not allow retrograde upgrades. That is, you can't update an existing OS to an older OS.

This entails making a clone or Time Machine backup first with which to restore your data after installing the old OS. All in all a much more complicated process with a greater risk of error. So do try the startup key command method first and if that doesn't work do get back to us on this thread.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.