Installing and Uninstalling Programs

Reaction score
On a windows machine when you install a program it puts many different pieces of junk all over the computer. When you go to uninstall the program several of those pieces are often left behind.

How do Macs handle uninstalling programs? Are several pieces installed and then left behind?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Mac applications are self-contained files, unlike Windows programs which install themselves in all sorts of folders. So getting rid of a program in OS X is as simple as dragging it to the trash :)

If you want to be really thorough, you can get yourself a program like AppDelete or AppZapper. These will get rid of every single reference to that program on your computer (sometimes a program will leave a preferences file in the Library folder, though it won't have any effect like an orphaned .dll)

Reaction score
Mac applications are self-contained files, unlike Windows programs which install themselves in all sorts of folders. So getting rid of a program in OS X is as simple as dragging it to the trash :)

If you want to be really thorough, you can get yourself a program like AppDelete or AppZapper. These will get rid of every single reference to that program on your computer (sometimes a program will leave a preferences file in the Library folder, though it won't have any effect like an orphaned .dll)
That's one of the features that make OS X way superior to Windows. :black:

Reaction score
AppDelete is a great little thing. Works like a charm and is nice and free, too. Love it.

Installing and uninstalling things on the Mac is one of my favorite things since I've switched.

Reaction score
This is a very helpful thread. Just a clarifying question please.

I'm going to be installing Office 2004 Standard so I want to remove the test drive first. Do I just drage it from the applications folder into the trash? It seems too simple LOL.

Reaction score
I use AppZapper, but I was wondering about the dragging of the Office Test as well... (I just dragged it to the trash)... so I'll be anxious to know what others say.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Microsoft, as usual, does not follow the rules...to fully remove the Office Test Drive, you should run the "Remove Office Test Drive" (or something like that) script in the Office folder.

Some Adobe apps are similarly tough to remove.

Reaction score
Wonderful, so, what do you do if you already threw it into the trash?
I wouldn't worry, the residual files will either be rewritten when you install the real version or ignored by any other program. I have had no trouble just dragging and dropping the Test Drive into the Trash. And I have had issues with the Remover being overly aggressive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
If your installing office 2004 and your not using Iwork I would suggest trashing it. When I did it freed up a 1.12gb of space.

Reaction score
wow. what i also like about the mac is that it's just drag and drop and drag and drop. even in deleting. but after messing around with my mac, i found some left over files. and it slighty annoys me because of im an organize person. i dont like unnecessary folders. so after searching the forums and found this. i ended up downloading appdelete and its great.

after this experience, my answer to the thread starter is yes, some have left overs and i use appdelete.

Reaction score
wow. what i also like about the mac is that it's just drag and drop and drag and drop. even in deleting. but after messing around with my mac, i found some left over files. and it slighty annoys me because of im an organize person. i dont like unnecessary folders. so after searching the forums and found this. i ended up downloading appdelete and its great.

after this experience, my answer to the thread starter is yes, some have left overs and i use appdelete.

My experience with appdelete is not as positive as these replies. I installed a couple of haxies that really screwed up my machine. When I tried to get all the bits using appdelete it missed a couple that were buried deep in my system. These continued to screw up my system for weeks until I finally found them. I am not dissing appdelete, which I use often, I am just adding a word of warning.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen
My experience with appdelete is not as positive as these replies. I installed a couple of haxies that really screwed up my machine. When I tried to get all the bits using appdelete it missed a couple that were buried deep in my system. These continued to screw up my system for weeks until I finally found them. I am not dissing appdelete, which I use often, I am just adding a word of warning.

Haxies by their nature are going to prove difficult to remove like that. I tend to avoid them for that reason.

Reaction score
That's one of the features that make OS X way superior to Windows. :black:

I could not agree more!

Uninstalling programs under the Windows environment is easily one of the worst flaws of the OS. It makes loading trial software not worth it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,white 2.16ghz C2D/2GB RAM/120GB, iPOD 60GB
Haxies by their nature are going to prove difficult to remove like that. I tend to avoid them for that reason.

what are haxies? (^_^)
(sorry for the stupid question, but I'm a newbie you see...an extremely raw newbie)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MBP 2.4 GHz C2D/27" Core i7 iMac
what are haxies? (^_^)
(sorry for the stupid question, but I'm a newbie you see...an extremely raw newbie)

Haxies are apps like shapeshifter and Candybar (and the like) that allow you to modify the GUI of OS X and such.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.