Installing and uninstalling applications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 iMac, 2010 iMac, 2009 iMac, 2010 MBP, iPhone, iPad, iPod, lots of others stuff
Excellent

I too was also a puzzled windows person. I also found app zapper to be what i think is pretty helpful as I just drag the app on to app zapper icon and it does everything automatically.

Is this app really doing what I hope its doing?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is this app really doing what I hope its doing?

The answer to that is "sometimes". The reason is AppZapper and other utilities which claim to be able to remove or uninstall an application only work well on those apps which are easily removed. Most OS X applications fall into that category, however, there are apps which use an uninstaller or come with uninstall instructions. Always use those first.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2012 MBP i7 2.7 GHz 15" Matte - 16 GB RAM - 120 GB Intel SSD - 500 GB DataDoubler Mac OS 10.9
<removed, see post above>

I tested it once, and I liked it but couldn't make myself pony up the $ to get it.
Now I use TrashMe, and it's "- Automatically detect an application moved to the Trash, and remove it's associated files" feature.
However, I see he too wants money now, so I'll just stick to the old version ;P

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
Reaction score
love this post....very informative. i actually went through some youtube tutorials when i first did my switch over

Reaction score
installing pkg apps

I appreciate this post, but have some confusion about installing a pkg on my mac. I go through all of the steps listed and give it my master password, and then it tells me my package is installed, but it does not show up anywhere in my apps or my downloads. Where is it going? i try to find it doing a search and it doesn't show up. is there another step that I need to take/

Installation Method Two - Installer

Some applications are not simple drag and drop. Fortunately, these are pretty limited to some major applications such as MS Office, a few of the System tweaking type applications and a few of the apps that pretty much everyone here would recommend never touch your Mac such as MacKeeper. They'll download the same and the dmg file will open up the same. But, in the window will be a .pkg file instead of the app itself. This is a package file and it is similar to the .exe installation files in Windows. They'll typically look like this one:

20110924-gxj2yxrdiyyrqmtm1jheqxbi11.jpg

With these pkg files, you'll double click on them and it will open up and run through an installer program similar to what you're use to in Windows.
Most of these are going to ask you for your master password. If you've purposely downloaded a specific app that you know what it is, then you're safe giving it your password. NOTE: If you ever have something open up on your dekstop and you are not sure what it is - do not give it your password.

Once you have it installed, sadly, you are not done yet.
Before you eject the dmg and delete the download you really need to find out, how do you uninstall this app.
Please read on in the Now for those apps that had their own installer, section below.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
How about telling what it is you're trying to install? Also, which Mac do you have and what version of OS X is it running?

Reaction score
Im trying to install an app called "Lightscribe" which is a disc labeling program that I want to run through an external burner. I am using a MacBook Pro and am running Lion 10.7.2

Reaction score
Game Folder Without Installer

Hi, I am a new to mac too, (got it two days ago) so exuse my ingorance ;)

I have this game called Urban Terror that basically needs no install. So I downloaded the game, unzipped it and now I have a folder on my Desktop containing several files, including the main executable. When I click the main executable, the game runs, everything is fine. But now my question:

Where do I put this folder? I don't want to leave it on my desktop forever. On Windows I'd just put it under C: \ Program Files. So is there a recommended location for my game folder?

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Put the folder with the game in "Applications". The first time you run the game it will appear in the "Dock" (Large menu bar at bottom of the screen). When it appears there, right click on it and select "Keep in Dock". Now you'll have a large icon you can click on whenever you wish to start up the game.

And welcome to our forums.

Reaction score
*Doh* thanks, that's what I was looking for. Now I have the icon in Launchpad, too :D

F

Fay

Hi there,

I finally decided to go with the iMac. Now - how do I get my apps from my MBP onto my iMac?

I don't want to remove them, I just want to copy them.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i7 2.7Mhz Intel
Thanks for the instructional posts bobtomay. They go a long way towards helping newbies begin to understand our new OS.

Thanks

Reaction score
Very informative. New mac user for about a month. Had to intuit a lot of things on my own but this filled in a lot of gaps I had left. Thank you!

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I personally use CleanMyMac which does have a drag an drop feature but gets rid of all those associated files from installed apps as well as the original installer.

Reaction score
Appcleaner is a good program to use to uninstall programs. I use that one currently.

Reaction score
Thanks @ bobtomay for the guide!

Anyway, I read the guide but I'm still not sure how to uninstall the Tor browser (installed using a dmg file iirc). I cannot remember how I installed it though and the instructions on Tor's website does not seem to work.
sudo port uninstall tor

Do I just delete it from the Applications list?

OP
bobtomay

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
If you forget or are not easily finding uninstall instructions for a specific app, the easy way can sometimes be:

a) look up the installation guide instead of trying to find out how to uninstall it

(In the case of the Tor Browser, it's install directions state "Drag the included file into your Applications folder". This indicates you will simply drag the app to the trash to get rid of it.)

b) For those without an installation guide, just download the app again and start the install process. When you get to the install, it will either be a drag and drop or it will have an installer - you don't need to actually install it - but, you will now know the method of uninstalling you need to use.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.