Installing a new HD on MacPro

Reaction score
Hi All!!

Im having a problem when trying to install a new HD on my Mac Pro. I have already installed it on the second bay but there is nothing on finder about the new HD ... I have tryed already the diskutility tool and tryed it after booting with the MacOS instalation CD and still cant get my HD recognized...

Is a 160GB WesternDigital SATA HD that was before on my Windows PC. I tryed google too but no success...

I apreciate any kind of help.. thanks.

Cheers [ ] ' s

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
So the drive does not show up int he disc utility list either?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If the drive is from a Windows machine, it might not show up on the desktop. If you run Disk Utility does the drive show in the list? If it does, erase or partition the drive and it will then show up on the desktop on OSX.

OP
M
Reaction score
o_O
Yes, it doesnt show in the DiskUtility.
So I will have to erase my disk ?

This was what I was afraid... there are almost 160gb of files there... I will try to backup from a PC to my Mac first...

You know if there are any other way ?

thanks ! [ ]' s

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Well, you can select the drive in disc utility and see if the MOUNT icon on the top of the disc utility window is grayed out. If it's not you can click it and see if it will mount the drive for you. Otherwise you are likely going to have to reformat it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Really since the drive is formatted it should show up. NTFS formatted drives will let you read but not write to them, FAT32 drives work perfectly. I really do not know what is going on. One thing I did see with a friends PowerMac G5 once with internal SATA drives. The drive my friend put in was a FAT32 Windows formatted drive, and what caused it not to show up was the Drives Name had a space between two words. Putting it in a windows system and changing the drives name made it mount on the Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.