Installing a Bluetooth Module

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 17", 1.8 Ghz, 1GB RAM
I bout an iMac G5 without bleutooth, or an Airport Extreme Card. Can I buy and install an internal bluetooth module? And if it is possible, where can I buy it? I know I can buy the Airport Extreme Card, but I can't find the Bluetooth on the Apple Store site. Can you guys also recomend me a good WHITE USB dock? Yhanks in Advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
mynameis said:
Nope. On the G5 iMac, bluetooth is a built to order option only.

That's not entirely true. I posted this info in another thread regarding the same topic:

You can buy one, just not directly from Apple. I've read that people have been able to purchase the module and antennae from Mac-Pro, though it will certainly be cheaper to go with the USB adapter (cost is approximately $125 for the internal components). As mentioned, you can also find them on eBay.

Once you have the parts, here's a nice guide that details the installation.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 17", 1.8 Ghz, 1GB RAM
Padawan said:
That's not entirely true. I posted this info in another thread regarding the same topic:

You can buy one, just not directly from Apple. I've read that people have been able to purchase the module and antennae from Mac-Pro, though it will certainly be cheaper to go with the USB adapter (cost is approximately $125 for the internal components). As mentioned, you can also find them on eBay.

Once you have the parts, here's a nice guide that details the installation.

?? Mac-Pro only sells it for PowerMac G5, and the guide is for it too. i was asking for info abvout iMac G5

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
BurntSmore said:
?? Mac-Pro only sells it for PowerMac G5, and the guide is for it too. i was asking for info abvout iMac G5

The module is the same, antenna might be too...only the installation guide would be different :cool:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
BurntSmore said:

That's what happens when you haven't been getting enough sleep.:bandage: I misread your post and thought it said PowerMac, but I'll search around for an iMac guide.

A

Animatronica

I actually believe the bluetooth module might be hardwired. I contacted CGN earlier and they stated the they are "built onto" the board.

C-ya

Reaction score
Animatronica said:
I actually believe the bluetooth module might be hardwired. I contacted CGN earlier and they stated the they are "built onto" the board.

When I talked to a guy at the local Apple store thats how he made it sound.

P

PowerbookG417

The Imac bluetooth adapater is hardwired !! so your going to have to use a bluetooth adapter :( as far as wifi tho the extreme card is easy, http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300205 here is a step by step guide on how to add that card.

i will give you a personal background help on this i get this problem all the time when ppl instal this card themselves make sure the antenna is FULLY in the card, you have a gold connector which goes in and then after that there is a silver part...you have to make sure the silver part is all the way into the card

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB
PowerbookG417 said:
The Imac bluetooth adapater is hardwired !! so your going to have to use a bluetooth adapter :( as far as wifi tho the extreme card is easy, http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300205 here is a step by step guide on how to add that card.

i will give you a personal background help on this i get this problem all the time when ppl instal this card themselves make sure the antenna is FULLY in the card, you have a gold connector which goes in and then after that there is a silver part...you have to make sure the silver part is all the way into the card

I don't think so...it would be the only bluetooth option from Apple that is hardwired...and it would definitely make no sense and be more expensive for Apple to build two different types of logic boards, one with and one without BT.
Even on iBooks and PowerBooks (which are a lot tinier, cc space) have bluetooth modules, not integrated in the logic board.
The only thing I'm not sure is if iMacs without BT are equipped with the internal BT antenna, like they do with Airport.
And I have to correct my post aove, the PowerMac G5s antenna is not the same than the iMacs, it's an external antenna because of the Aluminium housing. The iMacs antennas are internal.

But, frankly speaking, get the Dlink DBT-120. It works perfectly, is tiny and, above all extremely cheap compared what the aftermarket internal BT module and antenna would cost. I've bought mine for €25,- which is half the price of Apple's BTO Bluetooth option (€50,-) which was not available anyway for my Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display
I just purchased the internal Bluetooth Module from Mac Pro. The kit was $99.99 and includes the Module, Screws, and the Antenna. Not a bad deal if you ask me. I'll let you know how the install goes. Should be pretty simple.

Also, to the original poster. I didnt see one for the iMac G5. I'm not sure if you could use the internal module for the PowerMac G5 on your iMac. Shoot them an e-mail if you'd like.

Reaction score
If i were to buy a bluetooh module i would get a usb one and solder it onto one of the usb ports on the inside of the iMac, i would also make sure that usb port was still usable when i did it. That way you have an internal bluetooth module while voiding your warranty!

Reaction score
Mr Sprout said:
If i were to buy a bluetooh module i would get a usb one and solder it onto one of the usb ports on the inside of the iMac, i would also make sure that usb port was still usable when i did it. That way you have an internal bluetooth module while voiding your warranty!

Get the USB dongle, except I wouldn't reccommend soldering it. You'll save both time and money, and on the iMac you don't have to look at it because it is hidden behind the screen.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 1.8GHz Power Mac G5; 1GB SDRAM; 160GB Serial ATA; 20 inch Cinema Display
Welp! i just finished installing the Internal Bluetooth Module Chip on my Mac.

It was really simple and its working really well so far. The only problem is that the srews they sent me were one size too small. They wouldn't catch the threads where the module is to connect to the mother board. Right now its just connected by the antenna wire and the connector on the MoBo. It's really light so it will not pop out unexpectedly or move at all.

It'll hold untill I pick up the right screws or untill they send them to me this week.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.