Installer sees OS10.10 as lower version than 10.4

Reaction score
I just installed Yosemite and my Nik plugins for Aperture disappeared. When I try to reload them from the original disk, I get a message that says the installer requires OSX 10.4 or higher, and it sees 10.10 as a LOWER version. Can anyone advise me on this?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I just installed Yosemite and my Nik plugins for Aperture disappeared. When I try to reload them from the original disk, I get a message that says the installer requires OSX 10.4 or higher, and it sees 10.10 as a LOWER version. Can anyone advise me on this?

If would help if you mentioned what OS version you are upgrading from.:)

It's possible that the software you are trying to install is not compatible with Yosemite.

- Nick

OP
E
Reaction score
Version of OS

Thanks Nick!

I just upgraded from Mavericks 10.9.5 to Yosemite 10.10.

The installer is seeing 10.10 as 10.1, which is lower than 10.9.5.

My plug-ins seem to be working fine now, but it's a problem with the numbering convention - it seems like it should have been OS 11.0 so that installers can recognize it as a higher version of the OS.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahh yes…thanks for mentioning that.:)

Just a quick reply so you know what's up. Yes…I have seen a couple of folks posting with this problem after upgrading their OS to Yosemite. I forget what the fix was…I'm looking it up right now. Of course maybe someone will beat me to it.;)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
My plug-ins seem to be working fine now, but it's a problem with the numbering convention - it seems like it should have been OS 11.0 so that installers can recognize it as a higher version of the OS.

Alrighty then. Congrats!:)

- Nick

OP
E
Reaction score
Solution to numbering?

Nick, will you let me know what the solution was, in case I come across the problem again? Thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm still looking. Who knows...Apple may fix things with an upcoming Yosemite update.:)

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
This is a problem more with the way in which software is checking what version of OS X is running. Most likely, it's only checking the first digit after the decimal point and thus, it's only seeing "10.1" and not registered the oh so significant "0" at the end. In case you were interested.

OP
E
Reaction score
Numbering Problem

This is a problem more with the way in which software is checking what version of OS X is running. Most likely, it's only checking the first digit after the decimal point and thus, it's only seeing "10.1" and not registered the oh so significant "0" at the end. In case you were interested.

Yep, it's not seeing the 0. But normally, when numbering like this, you'd go up to the next full number. It'll be interesting to see how many people get the error message about 10.10 being a lower version than a required minimum version such as 10.4 (which is the error message I got.)

M

MacInWin

There was a thread here with that problem and the solution. I can't find it now, but it's here somewhere. Maybe fi you search this forum and the OS X Operating System forum for it you'll get a hit.

OP
E
Reaction score
There was a thread here with that problem and the solution. I can't find it now, but it's here somewhere. Maybe fi you search this forum and the OS X Operating System forum for it you'll get a hit.

Thanks Jake - I'll look for it, and if any of the rest of you come across it, let me know! Thanks!

C

chas_m

As Van mentioned, the problem was the installer. The fact that it said it was compatible with "10.4 or higher" suggests that the original installer is pretty old now -- good thing it was at least universal, or the plug-ins wouldn't work at all!

Probably time (or nearly so) to spring for some updated plug-ins from Nik.

Reaction score
I can give you a solution for it easy!!!

It's called pacifist for mac look it up on google

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here you go! Hope that works. There is a link to a supposed solution in the thread, at the bottom.

Thanks for locating that thread Jake! That's exactly the thread that I remember reading with a possible solution to this problem in it!:)

- Nick

M

MacInWin

NP, Nick, I just did a couple of searches and found it. The thread title is a bit misleading, but the link is there. I haven't had to try it, I hope it works.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Jake:

If I remember correctly, that particular fix can also cause problems with other installed apps. I hope the OP is adequately warned of the pitfalls.

M

MacInWin

chscag, well if all you need it for is to do an install, change it, install and then change back to what it was. That ought to work if all that is looking at the version is the installer, which is most likely the case.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.