Install os x

Reaction score
I accendetly erased os x mavericks on my mac mini. Now I only got Windows 7 running on boot camp. I created a bootable usb using transmac and downloaded an os x mavericks file. When I boot the usb an apple logo shows for a minute and then some other symbol shows and nothing happens. How do I install os x again?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums..

What's the "other symbol" that appears?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I created a bootable usb using transmac and downloaded an os x mavericks file. When I boot the usb an apple logo shows for a minute and then some other symbol shows and nothing happens. How do I install os x again?

Just in case this bootable USB was not created correctly, is corrupted in some way, or maybe even the USB drive itself is "funky"...you don't need the USB drive to reinstall Mavericks.

If Mavericks was installed previously...you can reinstall it from the Recovery partition. Just reboot the computer...press Command +r during startup...then proceed from there.

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
I have tried to reinstall it from recovery partition but it says it's damaged and can't be reinstalled.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have tried to reinstall it from recovery partition but it says it's damaged and can't be reinstalled.

If this is the case…you may find that the accidental deletion of Mavericks may turn out to be more of a pain than first thought. And of course when something is a pain like this…it probably won't happen again.;)

You may find that this Mac-Mini's HD may need to be completely erased, reformatted, and a then the Mac OS reinstalled. And of course when this happens…the Windows partition will need to be reestablished as well.

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
Yes, I doubt it's gonna happen again :D

But I have formatted the HD exept the boot camp partition already. So what do I have to do now? Format everything again and then boot from usb and install os x? I don't know if the os x works properly when I downloaded it from kickasstorrents. Is there another way to get mavericks knowing it works?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But I have formatted the HD exept the boot camp partition already.

Sorry…but no you didn't. Reformatting the HD means that you lose everything. You can't just reformat a single partition on an HD. You may have erased the the partition where Mac OS X was…but you didn't reformat the HD.

Since you have had no luck using the recovery partition…you can try "Internet Recovery". To do this…you reboot the computer pressing the three-key combo…Command + Option + r.

You can read this to learn more about Internet Recovery:

How to Re-Install OS X with Internet Recovery on a Mac | OSXDaily

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
I'm sorry, that was what I had tried to do before. The same thing happens when u reboot the computer with command+otion+r as command+r. Then it takes about 15 minutes to load the internet recovery and then i press reinstall os x and then it says that this copy of the program install mac os x lion is damaged and can't be used to install mac os x. With recovery partition, do u meen a time machine copy or what? I don't have one.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think that you've tried just about everything possible. At this point I think that your only option is to completely erase the HD, reformat it, and do a fresh install of the OS. Which means your Windows partition will need to be reestabished as well.

The problem is...since you are not able to reinstall the OS via the Recovery Partition or Internet Recovery...you NEED to have a bootable method of doing this.

I know in post #1 you mentioned having created a USB installer of Mavericks. But that didn't work. So I can only assume that it wasn't created properly. Or (something we haven't discussed is)...maybe the hard drive on this computer is failing...and that's why none of the OS install methods are working:

- Recovery Partition
- Internet Recovery
- Bootable USB Installer

One more thing you could try is...which is a bit more inconvenient than what we have been trying so far. Is visit a local Apple Store...and ask them to reinstall the OS for you (for example Mavericks). If they try to do the OS install...and they can't...then maybe the HD is bad. And a "bad" HD would certianly explain all the unsuccessful OS install attempt's we tried today.

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm sorry, that was what I had tried to do before. The same thing happens when u reboot the computer with command+otion+r as command+r.

These two things are different. But if the command + r procedure fails...then I think that the computer automatically does the "command + option + r" thing.

If the "command + r" attempt was successful. You would have first seen the normal Apple logo while booting...then you would have seen the desktop. And it would have looked like this:

bootfail_OSXUTIL.jpg

If the "command + option + r" was successful (Internet Recovery). You would have seen an image of the Earth. Like this:

311095-lion-internet-recovery.jpg

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
Ok, but I don't know how the HD would be damaged because everything I've done with it is to delete the content via the disk utility.
Is the recovery partition the same as the time machine backup?
There is no Apple store where I live :(

When I press "command + option" + r or "command + r" I first see the "Starting recovery prosess from network. This may take a while." and then I see the desktop with os x ulilities. And there I have tried to reinstall os x but it says it's damaged and can't be installed. And I have no time machine backup..
Is there anything u can do from the disk utilitiy?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Yes, I doubt it's gonna happen again :D

But I have formatted the HD exept the boot camp partition already. So what do I have to do now? Format everything again and then boot from usb and install os x? I don't know if the os x works properly when I downloaded it from kickasstorrents. Is there another way to get mavericks knowing it works?

Why are you downloading a torrent and not getting it from the App Store? I bet the torrent is messed up. Funny people would put a FREE OSX on a torrent site!

Did Mavericks when it was working come installed on your Mac or did you get it from Apple?

OP
N
Reaction score
I don't have access to App Store because I have only Windows. Or can u access it from WIndows in some way?

OP
N
Reaction score
When i bought the mac mini os x lion was installed and I upgraded it to Mavericks from App Store.

C

chas_m

Great! So throw the USB key into the garbage and stop trying to install from that, it's probably loaded with malware anyway. Use Internet Recovery -- it will ask you to sign in to your Apple ID/iTunes account and will recognise that you previously "bought" the free Mavericks, so you should be able to then reinstall it.

OP
N
Reaction score
As I said, when I boot and press "command + r" and go to the os x utility and press Reinstall os x it says that it's damaged and can't be installed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.