install gFTP on Mac

Reaction score
I have had my Mac for awhile now and I like. The problem I'm having is having a good FTP program. I never tried Fugu, but I want to go with something that I used before. What I want to know is how can I install gFTP onto Mac. I've got Fink, but I cannot seem to setup up the path environment to get it to work. I've also got Darwin ports, but the folder it refers to does not exist (because it looks on my hard drive). I also installed X11 and was able to get pkg-config installed on my Mac, but I do not know why the gFTP installation is not detecting it, because I open ~/.profile. Also, I ran the "env" but I'm not sure how that will help me to get the "fink" command to work or getting pkg-config to be recognized.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm not familiar with gFTP, but may I make a recommendation for another good, freeware FTP client? I like CyberDuck - it does everything I need it to.

OP
gotenks05
Reaction score
Cyberduck is what I'm using right now. For some reason it is not uploading anymore and that is why I want to install gFTP on Mac, because I can have the advantages that transmit has and at the same, without having any messages or needing to pay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro: 2.16ghz Intel 2 Core Duo, 1gb RAM, 120gb HDD, 15.4" TFT, DVD+-RW/DL.
Have you tried Transmit? I've been using it for 2 days now and it seems really easy. Not exactly sure what you're looking to do, but it's a suggestion.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
Cyberduck is what I'm using right now. For some reason it is not uploading anymore and that is why I want to install gFTP on Mac, because I can have the advantages that transmit has and at the same, without having any messages or needing to pay.

What do you mean by "it's not uploading anymore"?
Have you tried deleting the plist preference file for it? Is it the current version?

OP
gotenks05
Reaction score
Have you tried Transmit? I've been using it for 2 days now and it seems really easy. Not exactly sure what you're looking to do, but it's a suggestion.

Yes, I have tried Transmit, but I got a message after using it for some amount of time, that is how I know gFTP has the advantages of transmit, since I used both. I'm looking for a solution to compile and run gFTP (a linux program) on Mac.

OP
gotenks05
Reaction score
What do you mean by "it's not uploading anymore"?
Have you tried deleting the plist preference file for it? Is it the current version?

Just that. Everytime I try to upload to the server, it says that the transfer failed and asks if I want to try it again except the same message comes up again. It is a current version yes and the only plist file I found was the Queue.plist file.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
What's wrong with the Finder?
If you only want a simple FTP then Finder is your man.
:black:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money

Cool, I didn't even realise that finder could do that - just tried - excellent to know - thanks very much.

OP
gotenks05
Reaction score

Nothing is wrong with the finder, except I don't think I can upload to FTP servers. I don't know how to use Finder like an FTP client. I can use X11 or OS X's native terminal and access FTP servers, but then again, I only used X11 and terminal to compile things, not as an FTP client.

More info: I connected to an FTP server through the finder, but I cannot upload anything (just like I thought). I can only download through it.

OP
gotenks05
Reaction score
Never mind. I got help from another Mac forum and was able to get gFTP running.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo 2Ghz 768M RAM
Nothing is wrong with the finder, except I don't think I can upload to FTP servers. I don't know how to use Finder like an FTP client. I can use X11 or OS X's native terminal and access FTP servers, but then again, I only used X11 and terminal to compile things, not as an FTP client.

More info: I connected to an FTP server through the finder, but I cannot upload anything (just like I thought). I can only download through it.
That's incorrect. I use Finder to upload AND download via FTP.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.