Inherited a Power Mac G4 DP 1.25 MDD!

Reaction score
Okay so a friend calls me up and tells me that he's pitching his old Power Mac G4 dual 1.25GHz processor MDD machine. I of course pick up the machine to find in pristine condition with the exception that he kept his old HDD and there is no OS on it.

I installed a drive into it and put OS 10.5.8 onto it but I'm finding that Apps when updating or installing are painfully slow. I only have 1GB of RAM but I'm wondering how much more of an improvement should I expect to see when I upgrade to 2GB.

Also the video card is only a 64 MB one and I wanted to put in something with a little more omph but I'm not sure what cards are compatible with this system.

Many thanks,

Reaction score
you'll see fast boot times, and shutdown times. Also you'll be able to open more applications, remember 10.5.8 is a pretty tuff on ppc. more ram = happy leopard. For the most part things should run well, although from my testing Tiger runs better, just doesn't show any support any more.

I'd also recommend you pop in a raptor drive to give it an advantage.

ALSO
install Monolingual and delete the intel architecture it'll speed that baby up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Put in 2GB memory and Leopard is fine, faster and better than Tiger. As a suggestion, replace the video card with at least an ATI Radeon 9600 Mac Pro with 256MB RAM which is Quartz and Core compatible. Apple have ceased support for Tiger so there will be no further updates or upgrades.

Make sure you get Mac compatible 4 x 512MB low density memory modules as G4s are very fussy about the right memory. PC shops generally sell cheaper high density modules which will not work.

OP
S
Reaction score
Power PC architecture removal

I just downloaded monolingual and was wondering if I made the fatal mistake of removing the PowerPC G5 and PowerPC 64 bit architecture off my leopard running G4 dual 1.25 processor.

According to monolingual it says my current architecture is g4+ which I left intact along with PPC G3, PPC ect...

Anything 64 bit, intel and G5 related I've removed...

Will this affect my dual G4 CPU's performance?

thanks

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.