Incoming emails going into JUNK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, MacBook, iPad & iPhone
I have discovered that my of incoming emails are going directly JUNK. What is causing this and how can I prevent this? I discovered many are very important and I cannot ignore them.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.5 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
This affects most of us from time to time and you have my sympathies.

First thing - until fixed - do the obvious and check your Junk Mailbox regularly.

You can try Quitting the Mail app and restarting it and/or Rebooting the Mac. Often doesn't solve the problem, but an obvious thing to try first.

You can try telling each email that it is NOT junk by Right Clicking on it and clicking on "Not Junk" and/or manually move it to your Inbox. After a few times of doing this, the problem may go away.

If it's only from a few email addresses, you could set up a Rule for each one that "tells" the app always to put that sender in the Inbox.

It takes patience and time to get this sorted as I know from several occasions when this has affected me.

Good luck.

Others may have further suggestions.

Ian

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Not nearly enough information to go on. What application? What mail service are you using? When did this start? Does it happen with senders in your contact list?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This affects most of us from time to time and you have my sympathies.

First thing - until fixed - do the obvious and check your Junk Mailbox regularly.

You can try Quitting the Mail app and restarting it and/or Rebooting the Mac. Often doesn't solve the problem, but an obvious thing to try first.

You can try telling each email that it is NOT junk by Right Clicking on it and clicking on "Not Junk" and/or manually move it to your Inbox. After a few times of doing this, the problem may go away.

If it's only from a few email addresses, you could set up a Rule for each one that "tells" the app always to put that sender in the Inbox.

It takes patience and time to get this sorted as I know from several occasions when this has affected me.

Good luck.

Others may have further suggestions.

Ian
Many thanks for that. In future I'll check the Junk Mailbox every day.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not nearly enough information to go on. What application? What mail service are you using? When did this start? Does it happen with senders in your contact list?
I'm using up to date Ventura and Apple Mail. It started about 2 months ago and it happens with all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Did you enable Junk Mail Filtering in macOS Mail app > Settings > Junk Mail?

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.5 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Bob (ferrarr) make a good point.

In addition, when in Mail > Settings (Ventura) or Preferences (all previous Operating Systems) > Junk Mail,
Check if the following are ticked:

S1.jpg

As you can see, there are certain messages which are exempt from Junk Mail Filtering.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.