Inaudible Voice

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.5 Ghz i5 with 16GB of RAM and a 1TB SSD.
Hello Everyone!

My wife and I both have the iPhone XR (about 1.5 yrs old) and we LOVE it!

Recently, my wife has reported that she cannot hear very well when speaking on the phone - but the bottom speakers work just fine.

Originally I thought there must have been a setting, or her volume was too low etc. but after analyzing the phone it does not appear to be the case. I took a call on her phone and it sounded like my face was 6 inches from the phone v. having it next to my face.

We have a Geek Squad warranty on the phone (for "just incase") but I really don't like it when they touch my stuff (back in the day, I went through 7 replacement iPod nano Chromatics within 3 months because they don't know how to refurbish devices).

Thoughts as if it's hardware related (seems likely) or maybe there is a setting etc. that I've missed that I can look into?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
It sounds like the upper speaker is either going bad or has dust in it. You might try blowing it out with compressed air. If that does not work looks like a trip to the Geek Squad. Hopefully they will have access to a refurbished “new” phone for her.

I recently had issues with my iPhone XS Max. People could not hear me and I heard my own voice echo back to me. Completely resetting and restoring the phone worked for a few days and then it came back. I had AppleCare+ on it so I called apple and after going through their testing procedures, they sent me a “new” refurbished phone.

Lisa

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I don't have a solution but I'll definitely be watching this thread. I'm having the same issue with my XS.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
We have a Geek Squad warranty on the phone (for "just incase") but I really don't like it when they touch my stuff (back in the day, I went through 7 replacement iPod nano Chromatics within 3 months because they don't know how to refurbish devices).

You're not going to have much choice. Best Buy is an authorized Apple Repair service provider and since all Apple Stores have either closed or limited hours and access, Apple Care will refer you to the nearest Best Buy or will make an appointment for you to go there.

I just went through some of that in order to have the battery changed in my 7+ which we use as a spare iPhone. I will admit that although I do not trust the Geek Squad to do repairs, they did the battery swap on my 7+ and it's now as good as new. Not all Geek Squads are the same it seems. I still would not trust them to work on my Mac though. :Evil:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.