In-App purchased movies - transfer to iTunes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
Is there a way to transfer in-app purchases, particularly films, to iTunes library?

I got myself a [foreign] film studio app, and bought a couple of their old comedies, which I remember from when I was a post-grad exchange student over there, almost 30 yrs ago ...

It works perfectly via AirPlay from iPhone•6 to TV, however it'll be nice to keep copies in iTunes on my MBP too.
Besides, the iPhone's 128GB might seems reasonably sufficient today, but I know it'll fill up rather quickly, it always does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I guess that depends on what app they were purchased in, and what DRM is on them, if any. If the video is normally only accessible from within the app (no option to transfer or save it elsewhere), then you can use a 3rd party tool to get at the data files for that (and indeed, any) app. The one I use is iExplorer. You can do this much without registering the app. And no, the iDevice does not have to be jailbroken. It's a great tool to keep around in case you want to backup some data from an app in the event you find yourself needing to delete and reinstall for any reason.

OP
MBP17•David
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
Great, thanks - I'll give the iExplorer a try ...

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
+1 for iExplorer. I have the registered version and have used it to extract message files that were otherwise non extractable from my iPhone. Handy app to have. BTW, you can also use it to reverse sync your iOS devices back to iTunes.

OP
MBP17•David
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, already downloaded it, and will play with it tomorrow.
Great to know about reverse sync option.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.