• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

imported video half the length of the original

Reaction score
We've imported video from a Flip camera into iMovie so that we can edit it into a larger project.

However, three separate clips in iMovie are each 1/2 the length of the original video on the camera.

We've tried importing the clips a couple of times. We get the same results each time. A 43-second clip on the Flip cuts off in iMovie after 21 seconds. A 9-second clip on the Flip cuts off in iMovie after 4 seconds. Etc.

The overall larger project is a video for a 95th birthday celebration ... tomorrow...HELP!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 21.5" i5 iMac 2.7ghz 4gb ram 1tb HDD
Someone else had this problem using a Flip, according to a search I just did. The answer, which was given 5*'s was as follows:

When plugging in Flip, a pop up appears in iMovie that allows importing of videos - CANCEL this!

Instead, import them from the file (File > Import > Import from file) and then select videos from Flip camcorder files.

Hope that helps.

OP
C
Reaction score
Didn't work...

Tried the suggestion found by David Green, but it didn't work.

First, the "import this video" window didn't pop up when I plugged in the Flip. No problem, I thought. I went to File --> Import ... but there was no option to "Import from File". "Import from Camera" is, though...tried that ... and got the same result as before.

We're sadly running out of time to get this done for the birthday.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.