• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie for Mac: pause background music while video plays

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I am working on a video for my son’s high school graduation. I have a ton of pictures and a few video clips in my timeline. Throughout the video, I have a number of background audio tracks that I’d like to pause during certain video clips, then resume when the video clip is over, I can’t seem to find a way to do this. It seems like this would be a common use case, is it possible that iMovie simply doesn’t have this capability? I know I can fade the audio volume down, but since some of the video clips are of my kid performing with instruments or singing, I’d really like to just hold the audio track while the video plays. If someone knows a good way to do this, I’d very much appreciate your advice.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
If I am following you correctly - can you split the audio track you want to pause then move the clipped part to after the audio from the video? Right click and select split - move the audio and then insert video with it's audio. I played with this idea with a video I had and it is doable but I had to separate the audio from the original video then split it. One thing I notice is once the audio is separated from the video it is no longer synced so if you are matching lips to words it will get off.

Not sure this helped. I work in Premiere Pro and it works a lot differently.

Lisa

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I am following you correctly - can you split the audio track you want to pause then move the clipped part to after the audio from the video? Right click and select split - move the audio and then insert video with it's audio. I played with this idea with a video I had and it is doable but I had to separate the audio from the original video then split it. One thing I notice is once the audio is separated from the video it is no longer synced so if you are matching lips to words it will get off.

Not sure this helped. I work in Premiere Pro and it works a lot differently.

Lisa
Thanks Lisa, yes, you're getting the idea.

I will experiment with splitting the audio tracks (they're iTunes, purchased songs - so it should be interesting to see to what extent they allow me to modify them).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
From my experience, you can't put purchased music into iMovie.
That may have been true at some point in the past, however, it is not the case now.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
That may have been true at some point in the past, however, it is not the case now.
It still is for music purchased before it changed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
From my experience, you can't put purchased music into iMovie.

I'm a bit late here and do very few projects with iMovie, but Apple seems to say differently or at least imply so:

Add songs and other audio files to your iMovie project...

I didn't notice any mention of before or after any timeline...

- Patrick
=======

OP
cwa107

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your comments. Tyler graduates today and the video is ready to go. I appreciate your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm a bit late here and do very few projects with iMovie, but Apple seems to say differently or at least imply so:

Add songs and other audio files to your iMovie project...

I didn't notice any mention of before or after any timeline...

- Patrick
=======
Hmmm...I have two types of music bought from the iTunes Store. Protected and Purchased. Protected tracks are from many years ago. At sometime, Apple changed the designation from "Protected" to "Purchased" and relaxed some of the restrictions that applied to "Protected" music tracks.

When I open the "Audio and Video" tab in iMovie, I get a note saying that so many files are unavailable. I've always thought that these are my purchased tracks.

A quick go just now shows that some purchased tracks can be added into iMovie and some can't. Strange.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
@MightyGem Can you look at one or two of the songs that you cannot add? I suspect that the ones you cannot add are tagged as protected. The ones labeled as purchased probably work., I'm working from memory here but here's what I think is the root of the confusion:

In the early days of the iTunes Music Store songs that a user purchased had copy protection and tagged "protected" and showed that way in iTunes. At a later date, the licensing changed and songs purchased from the Music Store after that date had no protection and were tagged as "purchased" in iTunes.

IIRC Apple also offered users the option to have the copy protection removed for a small per-track fee. I think the replacement tracks were also at a higher bitrate as a bonus. I can't really test this because I think all of my tracks are purchased. I took advantage of that option when it appeared.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I suspect that the ones you cannot add are tagged as protected. The ones labeled as purchased probably work.

Man what a confusing mess, I think I shall just wait until I actually need to use anything and then see what the possibleI conditions are.

I just used the phrase MightyGem posted for a Google search and then started reading some of the hits:

My brain is too tired to go through it all at this point and there are just too many depends on and other conditions to easily tell what will work and what won't work and maybe how...

My hats off to any other members who want to try and translate it all... And then I don't know what may change in the rules when used in Canada...

- Patrick
=======

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The process wasn't as confusing as you might think. I'm working from memory so I might have things a bit wonky. I think the process kinda evolved over a few months.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I suspect that the ones you cannot add are tagged as protected. The ones labeled as purchased probably work.
Yes, that does seem to be the case.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.