Imovie fine editing question

Reaction score
Hi

trying to find out if it possible to nudge audio or video in increments of less than 1 frame
in iMovies?
Making music videos and replacing the audio off the camera with multitrack mixes recorded
live while filming.
When trying to line up the audio to the video cannot nudge in small enough increments(milliseconds would be nice)
As far as I can tell you are restricted to increments of 1 frame.
maybe there is a way of matching waveforms like in final cut?
thanks in advance

J

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks Mighty Gem,

I should have said I am using iMovie 11 and yes you can nudge with the arrows but it's
still too coarse.You'd think it would be a simple task to nudge in milliseconds,say, like
in protools.
The markers look possible but as I say I'm using iMovies 11.I'll look into updating maybe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Found this for you:
iMovie can only adjust audio to the nearest frame.
In Final Cut Pro X, you can nudge audio to 100 increments within a video frame to get it lined up exactly. FCPX can also automatically line this up for you, using the audio from the camera and the audio from your professionally mixed track.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4909205?tstart=0

Adjusting to the nearest frame has always been enough for me.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks again,I've been searching this question in vain for weeks and you have found a definitive answer albeit what I suspected,so it is a big help to know 1 frame is as accurate
as iMovie gets.
Thanks again for taking the time to help,much appreciated!

Reaction score
FCPX can also automatically line this up for you, using the audio from the camera and the audio from your professionally mixed track.????

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Hi
maybe there is a way of matching waveforms like in final cut?
thanks in advance

J

There is no way to match waveforms in the current iMovie. This is one huge reason I moved to Final Cut Pro X.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.