• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMOVIE Disk Space Saving?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
01-Mar-2011 MacBook Pro v10.7.1, 2.0 Ghz, 8 Gb MEM, 500 Gb HD
I am new with my MAC and I'm using iMovie to edit and create videos. I'm taking videos with a Canon Vixia HFM40 video camera in HD (1920x1080) and while it has 16Gb built-in mem and 2 slots for additional cards, the raw format of a 40 min event is approximately 6 Gb. However when I import the video into iMovie (v9.0.4), it expands my video clips that make up the recording to 30-40 Gb. I would like to retain the original (raw) video (as it is a much smaller/compressed version), import my recording, perform my edits and dump the exploded video clips...then import the raw footage again in the future if I need it - however - it appears that iMovie only recognizes this when the recorded footage is in it's initial state on the video camera. I tried to re-import it later from a location I saved the raw footage to and iMovie didn't recognize the format. I then moved the raw footage back to the camera to attempt to re-import it and again iMovie no longer recognzied it. Retaining the original exploded video in this HD format is consuming a lot of space - HELP!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
If you can access the file structure in the camera, copy it to your Mac in it's entirety, and you should be able to import into iMovie via the File>Import>Camera Archive route.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks - I'll try that...my only concern is that once I copy the file structure (entire) down, I'll have to copy the entire structure down every time to a different folder. I believe there is a directory file that exists keeping track of all the files that do/don't exist. So, if i just copy down the new files each time to the structure I just copied down, they won't exist in the directory list (if that makes sense)...which means iMovie won't recognize them. I'm planning on taking videos tomorrow so I'll let you know how it goes. Overall, it will be a huge savings - as I mentioned - iMovie expands the files between 5 and 8x the capacity of the raw files.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It appears the file format (.MTS) that is the raw format on my Canon Vixia is not recognized by iMovie unless its on the camera. Apparently I need a 3rd party software product to convert it to an .avi, .mp4 or .mov format for iMovie.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21.5 iMac 3.06 ghz 12gb ram 500g HD iPad 2 16G
Try putting the camera card in a reader and open iMovie...then click import...I have a Panasonic camera that uses .MTS files and iMovie will import them from the card. I cannot drill through the folders to extract the video...After you edit...save as MP4 to compress without noticeable loss...dump your excess...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.