iMessages a mess

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBA 2020 Ventura 13.6 M1 chip 251GB; iPhone SE 3rd gen 128GB; iPad Air2, 64GB
iMessage is not threading properly on 12.4.1. I send a text, and the reply comes back without my original text. iMessage also only recognizes some iPhones, even though I have checked "iPhone" in Contacts. Now on iPhone 8 - brand new, and still the same issue. Thoughts please?

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
There must be something out of whack in the settings as opposed to a general issue with 12.4.1. I haven't experienced either problem so far. Even on the IOS 13 beta.

OP
rainbowcat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
There must be something out of whack in the settings as opposed to a general issue with 12.4.1. I haven't experienced either problem so far. Even on the IOS 13 beta.

I can't figure out what is wrong in settings, as we have this problem on my husband's SE, my former 6 (which I just traded in today) and now on my 8. Need to get this back in whack! It started with iOS 12

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I can't figure out what is wrong in settings, as we have this problem on my husband's SE, my former 6 (which I just traded in today) and now on my 8. Need to get this back in whack! It started with iOS 12

I've seen this problem before. Try signing out of iCloud on both your 8 and your husband's SE. Then sign back in on both.

Also check System Preferences, iCloud on your Mac to make sure you're syncing properly.

If all that doesn't work, sign into iCloud on your Mac with your Apple ID and Password and then check your iMessages to see how they look and if they're threading properly.

Another question for you.... Do you and your husband use the same Apple ID and Password? Or do you have separate accounts?

OP
rainbowcat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks chscag. It didn't work on either phone, even after signing in and out of iCloud.

iMessages on my Air do thread properly.

Spouse and I have different Apple IDs and passwords.

Last edited:
OP
rainbowcat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ok - I've got this down to one problem; my iPhone refuses to recognize my huband's iPhone - treats it like an Android and only uses SMS. I've deleted him as a contact and reset all parameters, signed in and out of iCloud on both phones, signed in and out of iMessages on both phones. His iPhone recognizes my phone as an iPhone, but my iPhone 8 won't recognize his. I've backed up and reset my iPhone, and it didn't change. Any ideas as to what is happening here? Nearest Apple Store is 1 1/2 hours away, and I'm trying to avoid that, if possible. Appreciate any help

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Are you both running the latest version of iOS? (13.1.1) Don't know if that will help but you might try upgrading if you're on an older version of iOS.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
OP
rainbowcat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Are you both running the latest version of iOS? (13.1.1) Don't know if that will help but you might try upgrading if you're on an older version of iOS.

Both phones on 13.1.1

OP
rainbowcat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, I wiped the old iPhone 6 at the Apple store when I got the new iPhone. Thank you for info regarding managing devices - just deleted old iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Go into Contacts, find your husband's entry. Edit it and change his phone number from whatever it is now to "iPhone." Believe it or not, that is what I had to do to solve exactly the same issue with my new iPhone and her new iPhone. I have no idea if that was a change, or what, but despite restoring to the two new phones and following the steps from Apple precisely, her number got entered into my contacts as "Mobile" and not "iPhone" and that forced SMS instead of Messages. Very strange.

EDIT: You might also need to change your setting in his phone.

EDIT EDIT: You might also look at Settings/Messages/Send&Receive and check that the address includes telephone numbers for your account. That got mucked up, too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rdGen, iPhone 13 ProMax, Watch S7, 2018 15" MBP, AirPods Pro
Can you go to your carriers store? They should have a fix for that, or even call them? More than likely, they’ve dealt with this issue before.

OP
rainbowcat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Go into Contacts, find your husband's entry. Edit it and change his phone number from whatever it is now to "iPhone." Believe it or not, that is what I had to do to solve exactly the same issue with my new iPhone and her new iPhone. I have no idea if that was a change, or what, but despite restoring to the two new phones and following the steps from Apple precisely, her number got entered into my contacts as "Mobile" and not "iPhone" and that forced SMS instead of Messages. Very strange.

EDIT: You might also need to change your setting in his phone.

EDIT EDIT: You might also look at Settings/Messages/Send&Receive and check that the address includes telephone numbers for your account. That got mucked up, too.

That's the weird thing; his phone is listed as iPhone, and I've even changed it to "mobile" "home" "work" etc and back to iPhone, and my phone is stubbornly refusing to acknowledge his phone as iPhone.

- - - Updated - - -

Can you go to your carriers store? They should have a fix for that, or even call them? More than likely, they’ve dealt with this issue before.

That's a great idea - thanks! Will let you know if they can fix it. Since everyone has been so helpful here, and I've tried all the suggestions, it must be a problem on their end. I hope. Will let you know!

OP
rainbowcat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just want to thank everyone here for trying to help me out. Took problem to Genius Bar, and they couldn't fix it either. They did replace the iPhone 8, which had multiple problems, and I have a call coming up from Apple to try and solve this. They did explain that iMessage issues can not be a carrier issue, as iMessage bypasses your carrier; I didn't realize that.

OP
rainbowcat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
SOLUTION!!!! You must have an area code in front of every iPhone number in your contacts! I didn't put an area code in contacts for those in my area code, and that was the problem. At least it's a very simple solution!
Again, thank you all for your help!:phew

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
It's the patently obvious that defeats us every time;D

Well done!

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
SOLUTION!!!! You must have an area code in front of every iPhone number in your contacts! I didn't put an area code in contacts for those in my area code, and that was the problem. At least it's a very simple solution!
Again, thank you all for your help!:phew

Good sleuthing...!!!

But I would suggest that if you don't have to normally add the area code when you use your normal phone to call the party, I would suggest that is some pretty sloppy programming to not automatically exempt all "local" numbers.

Or there should be some indication that the number is not complete or at least for what was expected. Sloppy, and it should "Just Work"!!!

- Patrick
======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Patrick, I don't know about Canada, but here in the US the area code is increasingly required to make any calls, so it's natural for Apple to expect it in contacts. In my area, Winchester, Virginia, you have to dial all 10 digits, even for local calls. And if you don't, you get an error tone and a message to tell you to include the area code. So, Apple *is* including "local" calls with the 10 digit requirement.

Frankly, I think it would have been sloppy programming to leave area code out of the requirement.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It's the same in Canada Jake. Their phone system is tied to ours and has been for years. Western Electric owned Northern Electric before the big breakup of Ma Bell back in the 80s.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What makes it even more interesting, Charlie, is that my area code is 540, and some folks in that area are "local" calls, but there are others that I have to dial a 1 first. Not on my mobile phone, but on the landline. So I've taken to dining 1 all the time, as it works for local numbers as well as the "local" that require it. But I plan to ditch the landline in a couple of months and go all mobile, so that's all going to go away.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.