iMessage dictation

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Mavericks OS 2.66/4GB/250GB
A few months ago, MacWorld published a list of the special commands iMessage can handle (e.g., "period," "comma," etc.) verbally.

Can someone please tell me what these commands are or where I can find a complete list of them?

Many thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you tried searching from the Macworld site? They typically archive all their articles for future reference. I just did a search and came up with a half dozen various articles about dictating messages and SIRI.

C

chas_m

This doesn't have anything to do with Siri. It's just the Mac's (or iOS's) built-in dictation feature. I don't know of a list, but all the usual punctuation marks said out loud work. You have to say things like "open parentheses" and "close parentheses" to get (that) to work, like wise "open quote" and "close quote." To make a word ALL caps, just say "all caps" before the word (good for one word at a time -- I don't know if sayng "caps lock" would have the same effect for multiple words).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.