Image Capture will not open jpeg scans

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27' iMac late 2015
I use the built-in Image Capture app to scan documents using a Canon TS5120 printer/scanner. If I set the scan to produce a pdf image to my iMac the Scan Results window shows a thumbnail which I can double click to open in Preview. But if I set the scan to produce a jpeg image the thumbnail is blank and when I try to open it I get an error message that I don't have permission to open the file. I am directed to find the scan file in the Finder and Get Info on it to correct the problem. It just doesn't work.I can however open the file from the Finder.

This same problem existed with my previous Canon MP480 printer so it's not a printer problem. My iMac is running the latest update of Catalina as of 5 Jul 2020.

Anyone know what's happening?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
My Canon printer (TR8520) came with software and drivers for scanning documents. Have you tried using the Canon software and drivers to scan with? I rarely scan anything so I have not tried using Image Capture to produce an image.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
This same problem existed with my previous Canon MP480 printer so it's not a printer problem. My iMac is running the latest update of Catalina as of 5 Jul 2020.

Anyone know what's happening?

Do you not have the option to scan from either your:
- System Preferences -> Printers & Scanners window -> Scan...???
- Print Queue window... -> Scan...???

Either of those might work better for your situation.

- Patrick
======

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27' iMac late 2015
Do you not have the option to scan from either your:
- System Preferences -> Printers & Scanners window -> Scan...???
- Print Queue window... -> Scan...???

Either of those might work better for your situation.

- Patrick
======
I know there are workarounds and as I said in my original post I can find the file where I save the initial scan in the Finder and it opens fine. But I was wondering why this behaviour started. It sounds like some permissions or security setting might be wrong but it's not as simple as changing permissions in the Get Info pane as they seem to be OK. Anyway, now that I've updated to Big Sur it's working properly. HOWEVER, the Image Capture app now opens in a very small window. I can enlarge the window in the usual way but it won't remember that. The next time I open the app it has the small window again. Any ideas out there?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just tried it and you're correct. It does not remember any enlargement of the window. The small window does not bother me as I'm viewing it on a 27" iMac. The best I can suggest is look for a third party app that will allow remembering the size and location of a window. Not sure if any will work with Big Sur and especially with an Apple built in app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
I can enlarge the window in the usual way but it won't remember that. The next time I open the app it has the small window again. Any ideas out there?

It seems like some of the new young apple programmers are forgetting some of the basic rules of their macOS GUI Rules.

Anyway, I wonder if some of these old suggestions may still work, and some of the utilities suggested...???:

Or maybe look at some of the other hits:

- Patrick
=======

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27' iMac late 2015
It seems like some of the new young apple programmers are forgetting some of the basic rules of their macOS GUI Rules.

Anyway, I wonder if some of these old suggestions may still work, and some of the utilities suggested...???:

Or maybe look at some of the other hits:

- Patrick
=======
I found the solution. Option Quit the app. But you must quit that way every time or it forgets again!
Tannis

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27' iMac late 2015
I just tried it and you're correct. It does not remember any enlargement of the window. The small window does not bother me as I'm viewing it on a 27" iMac. The best I can suggest is look for a third party app that will allow remembering the size and location of a window. Not sure if any will work with Big Sur and especially with an Apple built in app.
I found the solution. Option Quit the app. But you must quit that way every time or it forgets again!
Tannis

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Thank you, Tannis, for posting your solution. It may help others in the future.

BTW, it's amazing how often holding down Option in conjunction with another key, changes the function of that key.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.