iMacs in 2012 Questions

Reaction score
I am waiting for the 2012 iMac to come out and I was wondering when is the expected time of its release? Will the next model have the Ivy Bridge processors and when are the Ivy Bridge processors suppose to release? I was hearing that apple will redesign the iMac and it will release sometime around March and April, does that sound about right? I just want to get an iMac so badly but if the new one is just a couple months away then I can wait for the better version

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Apple is amongst the most secretive companies in the world, so no one would know when the next generation iMac is to be released - anyone who tells you any different is merely speculating.

I believe Intel is slated to release Ivy Bridge in Q1 2012, so January-March timeframe. There's also no indications that Apple is planning on using it. I would be willing to bet that if they did, it will be at least a month or two following the release of the chipset before you'd see an Apple product shipping with it.

I don't believe Ivy Bridge will be a quantum leap over Sandy Bridge, more like an incremental update. So, if you need the machine now, I wouldn't wait.

Also...Thread moved to more appropriate forum. Please read before posting in Rumors & Reports.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 21.5 2011 Stock with Time Capsule. Ipad2 Colecovision
Hello DWS that is anyones guess.
I just bought the 21.5 2011 version and that is a pretty powerful machine.

With the Imacs selling like hotcakes I wouldn't be surprised if Apple waited to milk the market and then release the newest version. This is my first Mac and I am very impressed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme
I agree with Ghost Rider. I have the 2011 27in IMac and really don't think your going to see that much of an improvement in the next model. The current one has been able to handle everything I've thrown at it with ease.

Reaction score
From what I have read the only real advantage you "MAY" see in an update would be USB 3.0. I would look for an update sometime around April-May. If you need a computer it probably isn't worth the wait as with apple we never know what is coming or when.

Reaction score
Unqualified reply

I've been studying for my first Mac purchase. I have my eye on the 27" iMac.

According to the Buyers Guide at MacRumors.com it may be prudent to wait.

Days since last release = 223 days

Average release interval since 04/2008 = 273 days

Historical--------Release
releases---------interval

05/2011------------280
07/2011------------280
10/2009------------231
03/2009------------309
04/2008------------265

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Usb3.0? We have thunderbolt now all that we need is something that is thunderbolt compatible :)

OP
D
Reaction score
I think I might be able to get a iMac with my Christmas money but would it be good to buy one in January or February? Is that just to late then and I should just wait out the few more months?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
New iMacs will probably not show up until sometime in the Spring of 2012 so if your Xmas money is enough to buy one, you have a choice.... keep saving and waiting, or buy now. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 27" iMac, 3.3ghz, M395 gpu, 2tb Fusion, 8gb
If the new iMacs only feature the processor upgrade, which includes USB 3.0, I wouldn't wait. If they do something like a touchscreen, then you've got a different type of machine.

In either case, we won't know until Steve Jobs announces it! (He'll find a way.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Maybe it is just me but I have no use for a touchscreen desktop that is why I have my Ipad :)

Wouldn't you have to be very close to the screen all the time? Maybe too close?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I would go a step farther and say you will not see a touchscreen iMac in this lifetime.

Human beings suffer from a malady known as "gorilla arm". That is, there's only so long that you can sit perpendicular to a display, with your arm extended and acting as an input device. For something like an ATM, it works fine - you only interact with the device for a minute or two. But you really can't do any meaningful work with a touchscreen desktop (or laptop for a matter) - not to mention the fact that having grubby fingerprints and smudges all over your display is not exactly conducive to a good desktop experience.

Apple will keep the touch experience to the Magic Trackpad, where it makes sense.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
If the new iMacs only feature the processor upgrade, which includes USB 3.0, I wouldn't wait. If they do something like a touchscreen, then you've got a different type of machine.

In either case, we won't know until Steve Jobs announces it! (He'll find a way.)

I think you mean Tim Cook and staff.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Human beings suffer from a malady known as "gorilla arm".

I have two "Gorilla Arms" (me & Chuck Norris)...the ladies love us!

chuck-norris-2-thumb-319x397.jpeg

- Nick

p.s. No picture of my "Gorilla Arms"...give me about 6 months at the gym...then a photo!;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cwa 107 I agree
I have a friend that has a HP touchscreen and he hardly uses the touchscreen anymore he said it was a pain and he didn't use it much when he first got it.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cwa 107 I agree
I have a friend that has a HP touchscreen and he hardly uses the touchscreen anymore he said it was a pain and he didn't use it much when he first got it.

Yep. I love seeing those "Touchsmart" machines on QVC. They are a prime example of something that works great in theory and is just a clunky, useless novelty in real life.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think that the touch screen idea would work great in a location like in a kitchen, garage, etc....where having an input device like a mouse wouldn't be so convenient...AND the interaction with the computer is just a few seconds at a time (not constant).

In the kitchen you might be cooking/baking...and looking up a recipe to follow...or in the garage looking up some sort of DIY repair procedure for the car, motorcycle, lawn mower, etc.

Of course this would be a very "niche" use for a computer...and many folks wouldn't want to shell out $1500 for a new computer to sit idle 99% of the time in a kitchen or garage (when not in use).

- Nick

p.s. Of course the screen would need some sort of dirt/grime protection since the locations I mentioned are "messy" areas.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think that the touch screen idea would work great in a location like in a kitchen, garage, etc....where having an input device like a mouse wouldn't be so convenient...AND the interaction with the computer is just a few seconds at a time (not constant).

In the kitchen you might be cooking/baking...and looking up a recipe to follow...or in the garage looking up some sort of DIY repair procedure for the car, motorcycle, lawn mower, etc.

Of course this would be a very "niche" use for a computer...and many folks wouldn't want to shell out $1500 for a new computer to sit idle 99% of the time in a kitchen or garage (when not in use).

- Nick

p.s. Of course the screen would need some sort of dirt/grime protection since the locations I mentioned are "messy" areas.

Those situations would seem to be ideally suited to an iPad, no?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I have two "Gorilla Arms" (me & Chuck Norris)...the ladies love us!

chuck-norris-2-thumb-319x397.jpeg

- Nick

p.s. No picture of my "Gorilla Arms"...give me about 6 months at the gym...then a photo!;)

I'm ahead of you, I think. I already have the beard. ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Those situations would seem to be ideally suited to an iPad, no?

Yes...you're probably right...an iPad mounted on the wall in someway would probably be ideal in a kitchen or garage (less expensive as well).:)

Although personally I would probably like something with a larger display in these areas....so I could read things better from a greater distance...or display more info.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.