iMac year old screen flicker/changing contrast

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i7 2.93ghz iMac
I fear the worse on this, my iMac over the last few days has developed an intermittent flicker, it flickers and the contrast drops then it may flicker back to the previous contrast.

It's not the well known issue from 2009/2010 and I have the latest software etc.

Any ideas?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Is your iMac still under warranty or extended Apple care? If it is, take it on in to Apple and let them check it out. The flickering could be caused by a defective graphics controller or a bad connection from the logic board to the LCD display.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i7 2.93ghz iMac
Is your iMac still under warranty or extended Apple care? If it is, take it on in to Apple and let them check it out. The flickering could be caused by a defective graphics controller or a bad connection from the logic board to the LCD display.

Nope I'm afraid the warranty is up...I think a visit to the local Apple store to enquire, is next on the agenda.

It's slightly irritating rather than unusable but I fear it is the first sign of a larger failure.

A wee bit disappointed around 17/18 months in this has happened but such is life....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 27" iMac, 3.3ghz, M395 gpu, 2tb Fusion, 8gb
Sounds like a loose connection or broken cable to me, but that doesn't make it easy to fix. You (or a shop) will have to open it up and find it. Don't poke around live equipment though unless you know what you are doing.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i7 2.93ghz iMac
It's changing now for the worse, the lhs side of the screen goes noticeably darker than the rhs of the screen.

Anybody seen these effects before and what happened longer term....I have a musician mate coming over on Sunday and want to see it through till Monday as we will be using the iMac (I hope)..:eek:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.