imac wont swtich on

R

random

Hi i bought a rev-B imac off of ebay which worked perfectly the first time it switched on.
So I switched it off and moved it into a new room. Now it wont switch on and I cant figure out why. It doesnt matter how much i press the power button on the front it doesnt show any signs of life.
But I can hear a small electrical buzzing from the inside which at least tells me that its not a broken fuse. Is this buzzing normal?
Can anyone help me fix my iMac?

OP
C

Chamorro

Is the hard disk spinning up at all? Is the power button lighting up at all (orange or green)?

Did anything funny happen in moving it (i.e. not shut down prior to moving, dropped, etc.)

Are you sure the new power outlet is properly grounded and it's own circuit breaker has not tripped, and/or the power strip is on?

OP
C

carlafred

imac has no power

My IMac G3 is doing the same thing. It was working perfectly and then I went to power it on and nothing. I checked the power cord, actually switch to a new one and when I first plug it in, it sounds like it is going to power up but then immediately goes off. Can it be as simple as the battery? I am just hoping. If anyone knows how to fix this, I would greatly appreciate the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
It may well be the internal lithium back up battery. Also try resetting the PRAM - a button normally found near the RAM inside Careful to touch the main metal chassis part first to discharge static!! And on some Mac there is a hardware reset button outside I've heard.

OP
C

carlafred

carlafred said:
My IMac G3 is doing the same thing. It was working perfectly and then I went to power it on and nothing. I checked the power cord, actually switch to a new one and when I first plug it in, it sounds like it is going to power up but then immediately goes off. Can it be as simple as the battery? I am just hoping. If anyone knows how to fix this, I would greatly appreciate the help.

Fortunately, my problem was the PMU needed to be reset, it seems to working fine now, keeping my fingers crossed.

OP
R

random

random said:
Hi i bought a rev-B imac off of ebay which worked perfectly the first time it switched on.
So I switched it off and moved it into a new room. Now it wont switch on and I cant figure out why. It doesnt matter how much i press the power button on the front it doesnt show any signs of life.
But I can hear a small electrical buzzing from the inside which at least tells me that its not a broken fuse. Is this buzzing normal?
Can anyone help me fix my iMac?
Oh Im sorry Ive kept you lot replying once I fixed my iMac.
I simply pressed the CUDA reset button (or whatever it is called) and it worked.
Thanks for all your help anyway

Ok Im off to go make a new thread about one of my new problems :S

OP
R

RBWare83

Well I am having the same problem and I know that it is not my power button because I have checked that. I have pressed the reset button that is near the memory and still, when I press the power button all I get is a little static coming from the CRT.

PLEASE HELP!!!!

Thanks,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Do you have the install CDs? You may be able to boot from the Install CD by holding down the 'C' key on startup. Also you may try booting into single user (kinda doubt this works from what you posted) by command S on start (**** it's worth a try) but I bet if anything works short of a trip to the shop it's a CD boot

OP
R

RBWare83

Well, it is not making it to anything where it would matter what key I pressed. I will hit the power button, and then all the thing does is make a little static noise from the CRT (atleast that is what it sounds like). The power analog board was replaced a while back, and I have tested all the fuses and all the points on it to make sure it is in working condition, and everything has tested out just fine. So this is why I am kinda stumped.

Thanks,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Clearly a serious hardware problem. My guess now is the hard drive doesn't even spin up

OP
R

RBWare83

Nope, nothing, just the static from the CRT. I wonder if the CRT going bad would some how stop the boot sequence, does not seem like it should happen but I guess it could.

Thanks for trying to help

OP
C

carlafred

I was having the same problem, even after I reset the PMU button. It worked for a little while then quit. I work at a computer tech shop, which is 99% PC's, the techs checked all the boards and there wasn't any problems to be found. Put the machine back together and it powered on, stayed on for 2 days. Took it home and the thing wouldn't start. So I tried pushing the PMU button again and that didn't work. Needless to say this was getting very frustrating, I then moved the internal power plug around with my finger and plug the cord in and it started right up. It has been running for about 4 days now. I have no idea if and when it will go away again. I know this is very untechnical but at this point I am happy with whatever works.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
Seems like there is lose wiring to be checked out. Is the back up battery old?

OP
R

RBWare83

That is also something that I tested early on. I think I have pretty much given up on it, since most of everything has been replaced that could be the cause of the problem except the CRT and I do not really want to have to pay the money to replace that. Thanks to everyone tried to help me.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.