iMac WiFi Issues

Reaction score
I have a 27" iMac, and any time I turn on WiFi, in order to synch with my iPhone, I get unexpected results... including unscheduled restarts. Anyone else have this, and what to do? Thanks

OP
D
Reaction score
Whenever I turn on WiFi on my iMac I eventually encounter unscheduled restarts of the system. I have a 27" iMac 2.93 GHz Intel Core i7 16GB, running OSX 10.9.4. I am running ethernet concurrently. So far I've tried the following suggestions: Added a new network name; restarted with command-P-R. Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please do not double post. If you have info to add and can't edit the original, you can always reply to your own post and update it that way.

M

MacInWin

Are you saying that you have BOTH WiFi and Ethernet connected at the same time? If so, why? What happens if you disconnect the Ethernet and go wifi only? Are you getting any crash reports or messages before the restarts?

OP
D
Reaction score
iMac WiFi issues

No, no notification before the restarts. After the initial issues with WiFi a couple of years ago I used Ethernet. I've only recently turned WiFi back on (concurrent with Ethernet) but I had read that this is acceptable. If I don't get any definitive answers I'll try without Ethernet. Thanks for the response.

OP
D
Reaction score
OK, so I ran with WiFi only and in addition to being verrrry slow it re-started on me again. When it came back up it looped between two messages: "The last time you opened Finder it unexpectedly quit while re-opening. Do you want to try to reopen the windows again" ... and ... "The computer was restarted because of a problem". Probably 30-35 times each message before it re-started again. When it did re-start I saw a different background than my normal one, although that one eventually appeared. Now I cannot use "finger-scrolling" on my mouse. I wish I could say I was kidding ... it's a comedy of errors. Back to ethernet only for now. Could it be a bad Airport card?

Reaction score
ok easy as pie.

i take it your running mavericks correct???

Maverick was extremely picky with wifi routers but a warning on maverick you cannot have the lan and the wireless on at the same time you will cause a kernel panic on certain models of iMacs and even mac mini's

M

MacInWin

It could be almost anything wireless related. Is your iMac under warranty? If so, I'd call Apple right away and see if one of their on-line techs can suggest something, or take it to the nearest Apple store and have the Genius bar folks look at it.

OP
D
Reaction score
Yes, running Mavericks OSX 10.9.4. However, I had the same problem with restarts whilst running only WiFi.

The Mac is a couple of years old, not under warranty. When I first got it the complaint that got me to stop using WiFi was slow speed. I probably should have brought it at that time as other WiFi devices were fine.

M

MacInWin

Do you need WiFi? Given the iMac isn't really portable and that you have Ethernet, unless you need WiFi, can you just leave it off? That's the cheapest "fix."

OP
D
Reaction score
iMC WiFi Issues

No, I don't need WiFi. I went to WiFi recently because my iPhone stopped synching via USB. Not sure why... calendars, bookmarks, podcasts stopped synching. But they synched fine over WiFi.

I'll pursue the USB synch problem. But I assume that's another forum, or part of the forum.

Thanks for all the feedback.

M

MacInWin

Ah, that's a totally different problem. Post that here and see if we can get that sorted out. It sounds like your WiFi hardware may be having a problem, but if you don't need it and it's out of warranty, you can live with it if the sync can be fixed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.