iMac vs. Mac Pro

Reaction score
Hello,

Considering Apple current educational rebates, why should I get a new 27 inch iMac at $2744 (Quad i7 3.5, 16 GB RAM*SDRAM DDR3 1600*MHz,*fusion 1TB, 4 GB Nvidia) instead of a new Mac Pro at $3079 (Quad*3.7 with 10*MB cache memory N3, 12 GB RAM*ECC DDR3 1866*MHz,*256 GB flash PCIe, 2*AMD*FirePro*D300 with 2 GB GDDR5 each), then buy a refurb Thunderbolt 27 inch at $799? In long term, from others, would it be less expandable worries (technically, reduced expenses), bref a better investment, and more powerful?

I'm leaving Windows. This Apple desktop will be use at home for email, Web browsing (more on iPad Air), online action gaming, moderate editing and digitizing in PhotoShop, and Premiere HD, and lots of Windows Office, Evernote, etc.

It would be my first Mac.

Thanks in advance for all replies, and yes I've read many articles on the subject.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to th forums.

Do not forget to schedule in the cost of a display, unless you have say a very nice late model Dell display? There is a big difference buying that display and Mac Pro, over $1,000 diffeence. Okay if you use it for business and can claim depreciation.

C

chas_m

The Mac Pro would be a grotesque amount of overkill for your stated purposes, and in total more than $1,000 more in cost. Consumer programs (the bulk of your stated needs) aren't tuned to use high-end systems with dual graphics cards and all else that the Mac Pro has.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2015 iMac 27, 4Ghz i7, 1TB SSD, 32GB, M395X, Pegasus R4, 2015 MPB, 2x 2013 MacBook Air 13s
....why should I get a new 27 inch iMac at $2744 (Quad i7 3.5, 16 GB RAM*SDRAM DDR3 1600*MHz,*fusion 1TB, 4 GB Nvidia) instead of a new Mac Pro at $3079....This Apple desktop will be use at home for email, Web browsing (more on iPad Air), online action gaming, moderate editing and digitizing in PhotoShop, and Premiere HD, and lots of Windows Office, Evernote, etc.

I have a similar 2013 iMac 27, [email protected], 3TB FD, GTX-780m. It works fine for heavy-duty video and photo editing. You would be very happy with that or a similar machine.

Macs have built-in Time Machine backup, so you'd need a constantly-connected external hard drive for that. It need not be high performance; you could use a bus-powered USB 3 drive.

I have run various benchmarks between my machine and the base four-core Mac Pro with D300 GPUs. The Mac Pro really isn't much faster for most things, and for video rendering to H.264, the iMac is a lot faster due to Intel's Quick Sync which the Xeon does not have.

If you want a faster machine in the $3k price range, I'd get the retina iMac with 4Ghz i7 and upgraded GPU. It is very fast:

2014 iMac 5K Retina CPU and GPU Benchmarks

2014 iMac 5K Retina CPU and GPU Benchmarks (part 2)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
My mantra with computers has always been to buy the MOST you can afford which usually lead to a fairly long life for the computer. I got my 27" iMac back in 2009 and it was the most powerful one you could buy back then and it still is completely fine 5+ years on. While the benchmark scores might lag against the current generation iMacs, it surely is nothing to complain about for my purposes..

To that end, if you can afford the Mac Pro and the 27" monitor without breaking the bank, as it were, that'll get you quite a bit of performance and longevity. Photoshop is likely about the only app there that's going to utilize the Mac Pro's true potential, but that isn't to say that you won't have some other programs down the line that need/would use that available power..

You can't go wrong with either the iMac or the Mac Pro that's for sure..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.