iMac vs. Mac Pro for 70% photo 30% video?

Reaction score
So I am currently in the midst of the technology rat-race after upgrading my DSLR, which puts out 25MB files. For the past 2 years I've been running a Macbook Pro laptop with 4GB RAM and 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo processor. It worked with the previous file sizes of 8-12MB. Now it will take 10-15 seconds to load up the 100% view of an image to compare sharpness with a high frame-rate.
Down to the nitty-gritty: iMac seems to have everything I need, but I don't have experience working with that system. Any pro-photogs out there use a iMac for editing with Photoshop (CS4) and Lightroom 2? With perhaps some small HD video productions in Final Cut Studio?
The Mac Pro is obviously the monster powerhouse out there, but do I need it? I don't need all those bays for extra hard drives since externals are the standard for me anyways. But will I see major differences in speed and processing of my workflow with a Mac Pro vs. iMac? Since the iMacs are not really upgradable in terms of hardware, will I just be in the same rat-race catch-up situation I'm in now?

I appreciate any suggestions and comments.

-Ronan Donovan

Photography by Ronan Donovan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Welcome to Mac-Forums!

The 70:30 ration you mention suggests that you go with the iMac. The Pro is an awesome machine, but the work you're intending won't get it so much as jogging.

If you like the idea of 'power to spare', then the Pro is the choice.

You say "externals are the standard for me anyways" which lends weight to the iMac.

Speed? The figures aren't everything, depends on how many apps you have open, etc. The top-shelf iMac is plenty fast.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The current top of the line iMac with the i7, from what I've read, is faster than the current quad core Mac Pro.

The ATI 4850 in the iMac will literally blow the stock nVidia GT120 on the Mac Pro out of the water.

If you are money conscious at this time the iMac is the machine to get. If you can afford the 8-core Mac Pro and upgrade the video card, you'd have a whale of a machine. But they've got to be coming with an update for these soon. If you're leaning towards the Mac Pro, I'd hold out as long as you can.

I'd also suggest calling your local Apple store and setting up a one-on-one. They'll schedule an hour to talk with a sales consultant, take your camera in and test it out. As a pro, it would be time well spent having some of your questions and concerns answered before you buy.

Shooting in RAW with files of that size, you may find the limiting factor is the transfer speed from the camera rather than the computing power of your system.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.