iMac Touch ID

Reaction score
Apple M1 iMac with Ventura 13.2.1
Have several times successfully set the Touch ID for my iMac, but on the next time the screen goes blank, my finger won't "wake" up the computer. The screen display comes on, but it asks for the password. I have reset several times and used different fingers, but it doesn't accept my fingerprint.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I wish I had a fix for you but my MBP M1 (13.2.1) has the same issues. I set up my finger prints, they might work or might not then stops working all together. I have deleted my prints and reset them again and again. I just figured it is because my hands are old with lots of creases which makes them hard to read. I have never had a finger print reader that works well. My iPad did the best for a while and it had given up too.

Lisa

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
On my MBP, here are my settings to use the TouchID to unlock the machine when it goes to sleep and do other actions..

Screen Shot 2023-02-20 at 8.19.13 PM.png
This is the panel on my Monterey system. Ventura likely has a different panel, but should have similar settings.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Maybe the issue is old fingerprints? It works on my iPhone, but.......
Your devices are NOT linked. Each device has to have the fingerprints setup independently on them.

OP
P
Reaction score
Yes, I'm aware that iOS and Mac OS are not the same. That's why I posted here.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.5 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Just to reiterate: any security method you employ on any Device - iOS or macOS - is unique to that Device.

You can have 2 iPhones, 3 iPads and 4 Macs - still, each individual one has to be secured by whatever method, on an individual basis.

I mean no offence. Just emphasising the point.

Ian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
Getting back to the original problem, when I am prompted for a password, there is a message on that screen telling me why the fingerprint didn't work. Do you see that, and if so, what is it?

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I have a 14" M1 MBP and absolutely no problems using the two Fingerprint ID's I have entered; My own and my wife's.
Below is the Ventura Settings display for Touch ID which unlike Monterey includes my Apple Watch as an option.

Screenshot 2023-02-22 at 1.15.54 pm.png
Short of removing the existing fingerprints and storing them over again I'm at at a loss to think of a fix.
One thing I did see mentioned in Apple Support If Touch ID isn't working on your Mac was to ensure that Automatic Login is switched off. In Ventura this is described differently as "Automatically login as..." Either way it needs to be off. See below;

Screenshot 2023-02-22 at 1.57.30 pm.png

OP
P
Reaction score
No code on mine- my photo, name, and "use password"
Checked to confirm "Automatic Login" was OFF

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
In Settings, wherever the power settings are, make sure the system doesn't nap when the screen goes dark. Let the CPU keep ticking over. I think what may be happening is the BT keyboard is disconnecting somehow when the system goes to sleep and the wakeup doesn't reconnect the finger pad. it's a stretch, but see if keeping the CPU running instead of napping keeps the BT connection. I would give more explicit directions but I don't have an iMac, so you will have to look in Settings. You can search there for "nap" to see if that helps.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.5 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
I would give more explicit directions but I don't have an iMac, so you will have to look in Settings. You can search there for "nap" to see if that helps.

There you go, Jake.

S1.jpg

In the case of the OP, "Enable Power Nap" can be unchecked. For the OP, you will need to click on the Padlock, bottom left of the pane (not shown here to Dave space), enter your Mac's Admin PW and make the appropriate changes as suggested by Jake.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.