iMac switching off

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a Late 2015 27' iMac. Unfortunately it has started crashing/turning off when it gets hot. It will not re-start unless I remove the power plug. If I do that and the start it up whilst it's still warm it cuts out after about 5 minutes, if I leave it to cool down it's fine for about half an hour.

It doesn't switch off if I put it in 'sleep' mode when it gets warm, and then leave it to cool down.

Is there anything I can do, or does it have to go back to Apple?

Thanks

Peter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Is there anything I can do, or does it have to go back to Apple?
That depends on your comfort level.

It sounds as though one (or both) of the fans in your Mac aren't working properly. It could be as easy as dust in the intake/exhaust vents, or maybe it/they've died. You may be run Apple Diagnostics,

Or you can look at your Macs temperatures. See this article,

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Certainly worth checking your running Temperature. I use Mac Fans Control Macs Fan Control - control fans on Apple computers, also on Windows via Boot Camp

It's worth checking if it really is a temp problem because both myself and one of our other members have 2015 MBP's which display similar behaviour.
This is a fairly recent occurrence and I know our fans are working fine, mine was replaced a month before this started happening.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That model iMac only has one fan. But certainly good advice from Bob about running diagnostics and checking the bottom vents to make sure they are not clogged.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.