iMac storage problem with "other" storage

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 2017 iMac Retina 5k 27 inch with a 250GB internal SSD.

I had always a certain amount of "other" storage which was strange to me some of this is related to Photoshop and Lightroom classic catalogue and generated previews etc but recently I have up to 180GB in this other storage which is causing problems when working with pictures etc. Unfortunately its not possible to really find out where all this comes from and I am not able to get rid of this. I have already researched online and checked manually suspective cache files etc this is nowhere close to adding up to 180GB. Also cleanmymac X is not able to clean this up.

Has anyone seen something similar and what can I do about this, I really need to reduce this other storage.

I would like to avoid to move my Lightroom catalogue to my external drive due to performance reasons and this catalogue is anyway only around 2GB.

Would appreciate any help and answers on this.

Regards,
Tom

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 16" 2023 (M3 Pro), iPhone 15 Pro, plus ATVs, AWatch, MacMinis (multiple)
If you have Time Machine enabled and the backup destination is not attached, TM will make snapshots every hour until the backup drive is attached. Could that be it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
If you have Time Machine enabled and the backup destination is not attached
It doesn't matter if the TM backup drive is connected or not. Even if it is connected local snapshots are still created and stored on the internal drive, as long as space is available.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I had always a certain amount of "other" storage which was strange to me some of this is related to Photoshop and Lightroom classic catalogue and generated previews etc but recently I have up to 180GB in this other storage which is causing problems when working with pictures etc.

Has anyone seen something similar and what can I do about this, I really need to reduce this other storage.
This question gets asked quite a bit. "Other" storage is basically a catch-all area for items that don't necessarily fit in the other predefined categories (Apps, photos, movies, audio, backups).

Here's a screenshot of what my 256GB SSD looks like at the moment:

Screen Shot 2021-08-11 at 8.36.52 AM.png

Notice that of the 154 GB's used on the SSD...146GB of them are in the "Other" category. Am I concerned?...nope. They're simply files that don't fit in the predefined categories.

If you want to dig into things a bit deeper...here's a MacWorld article that goes into great detail on the "Other" storage category::)

HTH,

Nick

OP
T
Reaction score
Thank you all for your comments, I will look into both things, snapshots and the article, hopefully I will be able to improve it.

Regards,
Tom

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.