iMac start issue

Reaction score
Bought an imac, less than two years old, worked fine. Recently i heard it start to make weird processor sounds and was struggling more than usual to execute simple tasks. So i shut it down overnight. I try to turn it on this morning and it seems to start normally. It has been stuck on the white startup screen, not frozen, loading circle still in motion, apple logo present, but the computer wont get past this. Help!

It runs snow leopard

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Let's try to startup in safe mode. Hold down the Shift key as soon as you hear the post chime. Let us know if that works and we can go from there.

OP
S
Reaction score
Succesfully booted in safe mode, but fan is blowing crazy hard, what next.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If it booted OK in safe mode - that is you have video and aside from no sound (which is normal in safe mode) and everything else seems OK, it tells us that there might be a software problem. I don't like hearing about the fans though..

Have you recently installed any new software or added memory to the machine?

Also, before you go any further, do a SMC reset: Shut the machine down. Pull the plug from the wall and let it sit for around 5 minutes or so. That will reset the SMC.

You might also do a PRAM reset while you're at it.

1. Shut down the computer.
2. Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R. You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.
3. Turn on the computer.
4. Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.
5. Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.
6. Release the keys.

Let us know.

OP
S
Reaction score
No new software that im aware of, the computer started fine thanks to your tips. Still running slow and producing strained processor sounds though.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Keep an eye on it. It may be the signs of a failing hard drive. Make backups often using Time Machine or any other method you choose.

Reaction score
similar problem

I think I'm having a similar problem, i'm using boot camp to run windows vista and snow leopard. Whenever I try and boot into snow leopard, it gets stuck at the loading screen with the apple logo, a spinning gear, and a load bar that is stuck at 1/8. After a couple minutes the load bar disappears.

Tried turning the power off for 5 minutes, tried shift+boot, and tried resetting PRM. This has happened once before, I took it to an Apple technician. He called me about 10 minutes after I dropped it off and said its gtg, then charged me alot of money for 10 minutes of work. Also, i'm running a 27 inch, 2010 imac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Both boot from your system disc and after selecting language go to Utilities > Disk Utility and run Repair Disk from there and see what is reported.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.