Imac>smart TV

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
Just wondering if it's possible to connect an iMac to a smart TV. I know I can't mirror the web. What I want to do is view, for example, my pics and vids from my iMac for viewing on the TV.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
This should be possible. Which iMac do you have Model and OS version installed). Do you have an Apple TV? It can also be done using that as well.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid '11, with Yosemite. No Apple TV. I'm hoping that with my smart TV I could bypass buying it. Not looking to watch TV shows, just my own material.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What TV do you have? If we know this, we'll know what kind of functionality is has.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Mid '11, with Yosemite. No Apple TV. I'm hoping that with my smart TV I could bypass buying it. Not looking to watch TV shows, just my own material.

As you see from the other posters, the ease of attaching your iMac to your smart TV (assume this is a HDTV w/ HDMI inputs - correct?) depends on 'matching' compatible ports - please provide the information requested and need to know what AV outputs are on the back of your iMac (e.g. MiniDisplay, Thunderbolt, possibly HDMI)?

For my iMac, my only option (see pic attached) is to used a Thunderbolt (TB) port (one w/ a lightning bolt) and a hybrid cable w/ a TB connector for the computer and an HDMI cable for my HDTV (as shown below, second image). Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-07-01 at 6.18.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-07-01 at 6.22.14 PM.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well...connection isn't an issue as my WiFi network is connected to the TV. I'm just wondering if an iMac can connect to the TV on my network. Not looking to watch TV show or movies, just my own content.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I got to the screen on my TV that's prompting me to enter a custom name for Devices > Comp asking "Name COMP from a set of common device names or enter a custom name." What should I enter?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well...connection isn't an issue as my WiFi network is connected to the TV. I'm just wondering if an iMac can connect to the TV on my network. Not looking to watch TV show or movies, just my own content.

Well, I wish in your opening post that you had mentioned your goal was to mirror your iMac to your HDTV wirelessly - I would not have bothered w/ posting the cabled options. Now it makes no difference what is on your computer's screen (your content, pics, or a movie playing), you want to mirror the iMac to your TV's screen, and w/o a cable - correct?

My HDTV is also on my Wi-Fi home network but I'm not sure how to really mirror my MBPro's screen w/o the use of a cable (in that case, I use an HDMI to HDMI cable); others will have to 'chime in' w/ some advice. Now, Slydude mentioned an Apple TV which would easily allow you via Apple's AirPlay to wirelessly view your computer's screen on the TV, but you mentioned a lack of interest going that route. Dave :)

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I'm sorry to have "bothered" you!:eek: However, your efforts are not wasted because I think an HDMI cable may be a solution. I don't want an Appel TV device simply because I have no interest in watching shows or movies.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If it's like most TVs that really doesn't matter. It's more for your convenience than any technical requirement. Check the manual for your TV to make sure that it doesn't require the computer to be connected to a specific port. If this set it relatively new that won't be an issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, I'm sorry to have "bothered" you!:eek: However, your efforts are not wasted because I think an HDMI cable may be a solution. I don't want an Appel TV device simply because I have no interest in watching shows or movies.

Oh, not a worry if the pics help and others looking at the thread may be helped - :)

Well, if you do go the 'cabled' route, just make sure what is available on the back of your iMac - I suspect it is similar to mine, i.e. a Thunderbolt port - good luck and let us know your results - this question comes up occasionally and my be useful to others. Dave

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Never mind as "there's an app for that" (isn't there always?) which I found after a quick search and does what I want sans cable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.