IMac slow after installing ram

Reaction score
Hi all I have a late 2009 IMac and I have installed 8 extra gigs of ram to it because it was running slow. Programs like photoshop and illustrator are still running slow when I try to open them and whatnot. The com itself does not run slow but only when I try to open my design programs. Anyone have any suggestions for me I would really appreciate it.
Thanks
Jason

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Programs like photoshop and illustrator are still running slow when I try to open them and whatnot.

I don't exactly know what "running slow" means in this situation (need more info about this). But what I can say is…adding more ram does not necessarily always mean that apps will run better/faster.

At the end of the day…if the computer's CPU or GPU (or both) are not up the computing tasks you are asking it to do with these apps (faster rendering times for example)…yet the computer itself still runs well doing other things. Then it may be time for a newer/faster computer if you NEED things done faster with these apps.

- Nick

C

chas_m

A **great deal** more information on the machine ("2009 iMac" covers at least six models) OS version, total RAM, versions of your design programs and such would be VERY helpful in determining a good answer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And precisely what memory was installed?

OP
B
Reaction score
Hi all I recently have put Ram into my Imac because I needed more. I put the ram above the old ones and it is still running slow. Should I have taken the old chips out and replaced them with the new ones? My comp is saying that I have 12 megs of ram so it obvioulsy is reading the fact that my ram has been installed. I have a late 2009 Imac 21 inch , any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Did you install the correct memory from an established Mac seller such as OWC or Crucial? How full is the hard drive and how long since any maintenance was done? Not using Antivirus softare or the likes of Mackeeper etc?

Operating system details also helps. And over five years on, sure to be seeming slower with faster social media, we sites, Flash Player etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Adding addition RAM isn't necessarily a magic bullet fix to speed up any Mac and you no doubt have other issues causing the slowdown.

As for the RAM, you could use one of the memory testers just to confirm its state, and then address the other problems if or when all the memory passes the tests.

OP
B
Reaction score
8gb of ram were installed. I am running older photoshop and illustrators. CS4 is what I have been using. 3.06 ghz, osx 10.6.8. Does that help anyone? Sorry I am not a computer person so all of your help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

OP
B
Reaction score
Its def an older mac but I recently downloaded 10k fonts for my business and after doing that my computer had just been running super slow. I had no problems up until then. So the gentleman who owns the computer store in my town told me to buy more ram so I did and now it is still running slow. I have Mac osx 10.6.8 and it is 3.06 ghz and 12 gb ram.
I hope this helps and thanks so much for all of your help

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Please do not start another thread on the same subject. I've combined your threads together here. Continue posting to the same thread - do not start a new one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Its def an older mac but I recently downloaded 10k fonts for my business and after doing that my computer had just been running super slow. I had no problems up until then. So the gentleman who owns the computer store in my town told me to buy more ram so I did and now it is still running slow. I have Mac osx 10.6.8 and it is 3.06 ghz and 12 gb ram.
I hope this helps and thanks so much for all of your help

I dare say that if you installed all those 10k fonts your Mac will be like cold molasses, or even if you only installed a smaller fraction, you'll see a slowdown.

Maybe head ofd and use Font Book (Applications folder) and either disable or get them under control.

PS: The ReadMe with such font packages usually has such a warning and may provide some suggestions.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thank you all so much for all of your help! I went ahead and deleted most of those fonts and it is running much better! Thank you!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Awesome…great to hear it.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you all so much for all of your help! I went ahead and deleted most of those fonts and it is running much better! Thank you!

I just thought I'd mention that you don't have to delete them all from your Mac, just don't have them all "installed" so that they all load with all running apps.

You can store them in a separate folder and if set for icon view, they'll show their font style and you can just install the ones you want to use for a project and then un-install them in Font Book but leave them in the folder for next time.

Or as suggested, use a Font utility if needed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.