IMac Screen

Reaction score
I just purchased my 27" IMac today and came across this problem with the screen already. A little disappointed! Attached are the pictures I took while this happened. Has this happened to anyone?

photo.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
If mine did that I would take it back. Regardless of whether it's fixable by the user, it shouldn't do that straight out the box.

Was it delivered, or did you buy it from a store?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 In iMac, 1TB HDD, i3 processor,Running OS Lion.
If mine did that I would take it back. Regardless of whether it's fixable by the user, it shouldn't do that straight out the box.

Was it delivered, or did you buy it from a store?

Agreed. Take it back. Don't risk it. I know it stinks having to go through the hassel, but if your going to make an investment in a machine, make sure it works PERFECTLY.

Reaction score
Take it back for sure!

...nice bike there in the background! :)

OP
Reaction score
Thanks all for the response! I will take it back today.

@Chuckoir...I did purchase this from the store...at best buy.

Has any of you experienced any problems with the Imac that you have (esp 2011) models?

Here's the detail as to what happened: I plugged in a USB external hard drive and copied pics over to the iphoto. I changed my desktop background a few times and it did that (see above pic). Restart it twice and it didn't go away, then I put it back to default background, the screen went back to normal.

Reaction score
I own a 2011 iMac purchased in June. No problems whatsoever - there was some Flash issue after Lion came out which made it freeze, but that has been resolved. Works flawless otherwise.

Reaction score
I just purchased my 27" IMac today and came across this problem with the screen already. A little disappointed! Attached are the pictures I took while this happened. Has this happened to anyone?

I have a 24" iMac 4 years old - when it started similar screen breakups I installed smcFanControl which helped. It still plays up occasionally and I find that putting the iMac to sleep for a short time restores it to normal. However if it was a new machine I'd take it back quicksmart!

C

chas_m

I changed my desktop background a few times and it did that (see above pic). Restart it twice and it didn't go away, then I put it back to default background, the screen went back to normal.

This quote above makes me think that there is in fact no actual "problem" other than your attempting to use a background file that the Mac finds to be corrupted.

If it only looks like that when you try to change the background to one particular picture file, then I'd be inclined to say the problem is probably the picture file (though it may look okay in QuickLook et al) and not the computer at all.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2015 27" iMac, 3.3ghz, M395 gpu, 2tb Fusion, 8gb
I'd agree that it isn't a problem with the machine. They'll tell you to switch to a standard background if you take it in and won't otherwise do anything to it.

When I "upgraded" to the latest Firefox, a similar thing happened when watching YouTube videos. The center was out of sync with the rest of the image. I immediately went into Time Machine to recover the old version and the problem went away. Sometimes it is only the software.

OP
Reaction score
Thanks all for responding to my posting. I took it back to Best Buy and they were happy to return it without giving me a hard time. I think the one new one I got seemed to be faster (so I think). It did freeze up once but probably b/c I have too many programs opened at once.

chas_m...I don't think it's a corrupt file b/c I have the same pic as my background for mac book. I think it may be the screen b/c I have restarted twice and it didn't do anything until I changed it back to the default.

Crossing my fingers I will not experience anymore issues...b/c I love the iMac!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.