iMac Screen Magnification

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMAC 27 I7 Qaud core 3.4 GHZ 16 Gig ram
I'm 65 years old and my eyesight ain't what it use to be does anybody know of a screen that will fit over the iMac 27 so that old guys like me can see the screen without having to squint to see it

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Depending on what model iMac you have...you may be able to change the display resolution a bit which could help. This decreases the amount of screen real estate...but makes things a bit larger/easier to read.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
If you go into Sys Prefs>Accessibility and select Zoom from the Sidebar, you can set the Zoom Function. With it turned On(Alt,Cmd,8) and the "Zoom Follows Keyboard Focus", wherever you move the pointer the zoom will follow.

You can also set the minimum and maximum amount of zoom.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
As Nick mentioned, use your System Preferences -> Displays and change to a lower resolution that would suit your use and viewing:

Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 4.32.55 PM.png

PS: Please excuse the "beast" spelling mistake!!! :rolleyes:

- Patrick
=======

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What Patrick described is exactly what I was thinking. Mighty Gem's is great as well...especially for older (pre-retina) Mac's.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What Patrick described is exactly what I was thinking. Mighty Gem's is great as well...

Thanks Nick, but what is "Mighty Gem" that I seem to have missed???

I might be able to use it myself. ;)

- Patrick
=======

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Post #3, Patrick.

If you go into Sys Prefs>Accessibility and select Zoom from the Sidebar, you can set the Zoom Function. With it turned On(Alt,Cmd,8) and the "Zoom Follows Keyboard Focus", wherever you move the pointer the zoom will follow.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Post #3, Patrick.

Thanks Ian,
But now I am puzzled as to what is going on about ignoring a member's content that I sure as heck did not enable that I now see after you posted:

MightyGem said:
You are ignoring content by this member.

I was thinking it might have been a useful third-party utility I could have also used.

- Patrick
=======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
@Patrick:

You may have inadvertently selected "ignore content" for member MightyGem. In the old BBS days that was called a "Twit" filter. Remember those?

Anyway, you need to turn off whatever you did. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You may have inadvertently selected "ignore content" for member MightyGem.

Thanks Charlie, but I sure don't recall disabling MightyGem's comments, but I was able to undo the setting.

I don't really recall any "twit filter" back in the BBS days, but I can sure recall some real genuine twits we called some users. I seem to also recall some were referred to as Tweedledum and Tweedledee amongst other nicknames they might have been given. ;)

- Patrick
=======

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
LOL, you probably do remember the biggest "Twit" we had here in Mac Forums who no longer is a member.
:goofy

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL, you probably do remember the biggest "Twit" we had here in Mac Forums who no longer is a member.
:goofy

Aghhh... shudder... yes... unfortunately the memory does still lingers on, and he was also asked to leave a Canadian Mac support site by the originator of that site and maybe a few others for all I know. Definitely a genuine Twit... but still doing his things with the local Mac users group I understand. Talk about snake oil salespeople... but I guess that's actually an insult to them... :rolleyes:

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13” MacBook Pro - late 2013, iPhone 11 iPad Pro Mac Mini
After I had my cataract surgery last August vision returned to normal. I'll be 80 this year and have no problem using 1920 x 1080, no glasses either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2021), Apple M1 Pro CPU, 16 GB, 512G SSD
Anything wrong with wearing glasses? I am 70 and I wear glasses, so I can joke about it... ;) If seriously, my 27"monitor is set to 2048 x 1152 resolution, and it works great for me. 2560 x 1440 make everything too small for comfortable reading.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Some folks still have vision problems even after cataract surgery.

As far as glasses are concerned, you can ask your Optometrist to give you a prescription for computer glasses. I did that very thing and my glasses for computer viewing focus at 30". Other glasses that I use I buy from Walgreens or CVS as they are for reading only. My distance vision for driving is still 20 - 20.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2021), Apple M1 Pro CPU, 16 GB, 512G SSD

As far as glasses are concerned, you can ask your Optometrist to give you a prescription for computer glasses. I did that very thing and my glasses for computer viewing focus at 30". Other glasses that I use I buy from Walgreens or CVS as they are for reading only. My distance vision for driving is still 20 - 20.
After my cataract I got myself a pair of progressive glasses, mostly for convenience, so that I do not have to change them when moving from driving (zero diop.) to a computer screen to reading. I still had to set the resolution to 2048 x 1152 to make it easier on my eyes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

I did that last year, viewing focus also established at 30 inches, and progression focus for desk stuff, and then add the different coatings and they cost me about $700.00 cdn, but were still not strong enough at the native resolution of the 27in iMac I had been using, but I have now pretty well settled on 1920 x 1080 for most general work.

SWMBO was glad that I finally got some better glasses, but in all honesty, they seem only fractionally better than the three-for-$30 reading glasses I was purchasing at our local Costco.

Besides the general Mac OS magnification and zoom options, I need to help me see what is on my monitor, one of the things that really annoys me about so many web pages is their use of light grey text on a grey background. It drives me crazy.

For a solution for that, I have often ended up using High Contrast for Chrome extension, that has the ability to turn the text into black (or colour of more contrast). Unfortunately not too helpful for those who don't use Chrome for their browser, but it is very useful for me.

- Patrick
=======

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.