• Welcome to the new Mac-Forums. See News and Community Announcements for more details.

iMac password or admin password?

Reaction score
The other day when doing some maintenance with Apple's burdensome iCloud mess iCloud preferences asked me for my iMac password.

I entered the admin password from users and groups and it was not accepted.

Is there another password for the iMac that is tied to the Mac. I had thought the the admins user id and password were the only ones.

Am I missing something. I have no idea if there is a iMac related password to the PC itself what it is, how to find it, or change it.

Comments?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 7+, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, Numerous iPods, Catalina
iCloud preferences asks for your Apple ID password not your Admin password, so not sure what you're seeing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPhone 11 iOS 13, 12.9" iPad Pro 1 iPadOS 13, Late 2014 Mac Mini macOS 10.15
I know now with Catalina, I am able to login to iCloud.com using my user password, maybe you were being asked if you wanted to allow that?

Reaction score
It asked me for my password for my iMac, the name of my computer. Confused me, never seen this before, would not accept my admin user password, or my iCloud Apple id password. Strange.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 5K Retina 27", August 2019, 3.6GHz Intel Core i9, Memory 32GB, 2TB SSD, macOS Mojave 10.14.6
The other day when doing some maintenance with Apple's burdensome iCloud mess iCloud preferences asked me for my iMac password.
May I just seek clarification on exactly what you were doing and how you went about it, please?

Did you do everything via your Mac (System Preferences > iCloud), or did you sign in to iCloud on the web? I apologise for appearing dumb, but I can't get a mental picture of what you were doing.

Ian