iMac or Macbook Pro?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo--2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Girlfriend pretty much told me that I am getting a new computer for Christmas.

Now I have to decide between an iMac or Macbook Pro.

I am a teacher and I do a lot of video editing, photo editing, projects, etc and I need a fast machine.

What could I do more with and upgrade easier if needed? What machine with specs would y'all recommend?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
The iMac would be my choice.
--iMacs have dedicated/separate graphics cards that will aide in your a/v editing.
--the 27 inch iMac (retina or Non retina) has user upgradable ram. (The only laptop that has that made by apple is circa 2012)
--more pixels on iMac for viewing.
--upgrading either an iMac or MacBook Pro hard drive on your own will void warranty.
--Can go up to 32gb ram in iMac (only 16 on MacBook Pro)
--both choices mean you need an external cd/dvd drive if that's something you use often (except for the 2012 MBP that has a CD drive still)
-- iMacs have less accidents (beer on the keyboard won't ruin the iMac- just your peripheral)
The only real down side is that an iMac is not not portable.
If that is important to you then get an MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in rMBP 2014 Yosemite
As for the specs.
Get the things that aren't user upgradable from apple.
--A hard drive size your comfortable with-500gb at least- if you save a lot of your work on site. The SSDs are super fast and can't go wrong with any of them (accept maybe the 256 since video will pile up fast)
--most ppl here say get the most you can afford. bump up the CPU and graphics card (I think 4gb is the high end now)
--You can get the ram later and save yourself a few hundred dollars (only on the 27 inch)

If I ever buy another iMac it will def be a 27 inch. You can't upgrade the screen on your own unless you buy a big peripheral monitor to plug into your already new iMac.

Don't discount the used section of the Apple Store. They have the same warranty as a new one and are usually 200+ cheaper. And there are some on there that are from as recently as a year ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Depends entirely on your need, or lack of, mobility. Rather than 'used' I think Ttaylor means 'refurbished'.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook
Depends entirely on your need, or lack of, mobility. Rather than 'used' I think Ttaylor means 'refurbished'.

I noticed your signature on making a "bootable thumb drive" on 10.7 before installing it! Is there any trick to doing that or do you just copy the installer to the thumb drive before installing & then recopy it to the computer's H.D. when you want to reinstall OS 10.7 a second time?

I hate not having installation disks! :Grimmace:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I noticed your signature on making a "bootable thumb drive" on 10.7 before installing it! Is there any trick to doing that or do you just copy the installer to the thumb drive before installing & then recopy it to the computer's H.D. when you want to reinstall OS 10.7 a second time?

Are you asking how to make a bootable OS install thumb drive? If so...there are a "bazillion" DIY procedures on the internet. Do a quick search...and you will have MANY step by step procedures on how to do it.:)

Definitely make them...I swear by them. Even with the Recovery Partition & Internet Recovery options...I still find having bootable OS install thumb drives can come on handy.:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac, 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook
Thanx Nick!

I looked it up! No wonder you didn't try to explain it! Yikes!

Last edited:

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanx Nick!

I looked it up! No wonder you didn't try to explain it! Yikes!

Yes it is a bit of a procedure…and the steps must be followed precisely.:)

- Nick

OP
gatrapper
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 2.16 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo--2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Girlfriend went with the Macbook Pro.
15-inch: 2.5GHz
with Retina display
Specifications
2.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz
16GB 1600MHz memory
512GB PCIe-based flash storage 1
Intel Iris Pro Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB GDDR5 memory
Built-in battery (8 hours)2

Any recommended upgrades?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Looks like she purchased a real nice machine ($$$). As far as upgrades are concerned, that machine can not be upgraded any further; memory is permanently soldered in, graphics too. The flash drive can be upgraded at some time in the future when they become available but it's a job that should only be done by a trained tech. If you're referring to software upgrades, there's plenty available. Check with the Mac App store.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16GB 1600MHz memory

I would add…with 16gig of ram…this already is the max. ram for this computer. So upgrading the ram further is not possible.

512gig of flash storage is pretty large as well…so I would think that this amount of storage should be good for a while.:)

There isn't anything else that can be upgraded.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
Girlfriend went with the Macbook Pro.
15-inch: 2.5GHz
with Retina display
Specifications
2.5GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz
16GB 1600MHz memory
Intel Iris Pro Graphics
NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M with 2GB GDDR5 memory
Built-in battery (8 hours)2

Any recommended upgrades?

Well, as a retired teacher and currently working as a videographer who edits everyday, I would have gone with the iMac but since you have the MB Pro...that is a nice machine too.

I have a 2011 MB Pro with 16Gb not sure of graphics and a 1TB HD that I have edited on. I use it extensively to capture live events. It is not my main editor but I have used it in a pinch when I have lots of projects back up and need more editors. I use Premiere Pro CS 6 for editing which it handles really well.

First recommendations - the largest external monitor you can afford. On my main (Windows) editor I have two 27" monitors. When I use my MB Pro to edit, I use a 24". The more screen the better.

You might also consider an external USB magic mouse (easier to manipulate and edit) and if you burn any DVD's an external superdrive DVD burner.

And a large external hard drive for video storage!

Lisa

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.