iMac not finding HD

Reaction score
My iMac is not finding the hard drive. I am getting the flashing question mark when I boot up. Here is what I've tried (all based on reading forums - I don't really know what I'm doing!)...

- Rebooted in safe mode by holding shift key.
- Rebooted with unplugged mouse & keyboard.
- Unplugged power source for 15 seconds.
- Reset PRAM.
All of the above result in the same flashing question mark.
- Rebooted while holding option key. This results in a blank grey screen.
- Try to boot from my Leopard OS X upgrade disk so I can access disk utility to repair permissions, but my HD does not show up on the left sidebar.
- When I try to reinstall Leopard, I get the message "Mac OS X v10.4 or later could not be found".
- So now I get out my original OS X install disks (Tiger) and perform the Apple Hardware Test (holding the D key while rebooting) and got the message "No trouble found".
- When I try to reinstall the original OS X 10.4.4 and try to "select destination", there are no options.
- If I plug in my external drive (that I use for my MBP) via firewire and hold option to boot from that, I can access all of those files (it has OS X 10.5.8 backed up on it), but I still cannot get to the iMac's hard drive.

Does anyone have any other ideas for me?

Appreciate your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Try holding down the 'C' key with the OS Tiger disc if you are 100% sure it is the original disc that came with the computer, go into Utilities and run Disk Utilities > Repair Disc and see what is reported. Sounds like you have a failed hard drive. That is one of the drawbacks purchasing upgrade operating systems booting to repair disk.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I agree with Harry. Your hard drive has likely failed. It's probably time to install a new one. Instructions and tools needed for opening up the iMac and swapping out the drive can be found at iFixit: The free repair manual.

OP
C
Reaction score
When I hold C & reboot with the original Tiger install disc & go into Utilities, my hard drive is not shown on the left sidebar. All I see listed there is my DVD/CD drive with the Tiger install disc underneath it.

Is this further confirmation that I have a failed hard drive?

The Apple Hardware Test didn't reveal any trouble... does that mean anything in regard to the hard drive?

Thank you for the replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.