iMac mouse Advice

Reaction score
For many years I loved my magic mouse, a simple USB wired mouse with a single button that moved the cursor vertically and horizontally. It appears Apple do longer makes that model. Can anyone suggest a source for a mouse that still provides that capability. FYI I do NOT like wireless models.

Thank you

poppi

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
P
Reaction score
nk you for the feedback. What about two direction scrolling? Yjay is what I miss from my Mac mouseTh

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
What about two direction scrolling?

Is this what you mean?

Ian

OP
P
Reaction score
Not exactly. In my OLD mouse turning the ball up or down moved the cursor up and down the screen. Spinning left or right mopved the cursor left or right on the screen. I found this quite valuable working with a very wide spread sheet

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
FYI I do NOT like wireless models.

Don't be too fast to dismiss the wireless models and I had the same attitude many years ago until I picked up a Logitech M705 USB wireless mouse that hour local Costco hat on a super sale and it has been the best Mouse I ever used and those I recommended it to also agreed after they went out and bought one.

I see Amazon even has them on sale at both the US and Canadian stores, they are a beautifully balanced smooth working Mouse with all the features you need and more if you need them if you use their customizing software and the batteries last for about 3 years.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=logitech+m720+triathlon+mouse&crid=3SD7K5PARY6WE&sprefix=logitech+m720+triathlon+mouse,aps,159&ref=nb_sb_noss_1&tag=macforums0e4-20

Or direct from Logitech:

Or any of their cheaper mice models with the features you want. All are excellent mice, but their M705 model is outstanding and usage and features.

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac, iPhone 7, iPod?, Macbook Pro 2015, Apple TV
Thanks for the review, Patrick. My Magic Mouse (4-5 yrs old now) is not responding as it should to right and left clicks and I find myself in need of a replacement.

Reaction score
Just my 2 cents, but my favorite mouse is this one:

Logitech M310 wireless, optical, ergonomic mouse
Currently on sale for only $15, in any color that you like!
http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/wireless-mouse-M310?crid=7

This mouse goes for an unusually long time on just one ordinary AA battery; as much as a year! It is wireless, but not Bluetooth. The upside to this is that it never suffers from interference problems, or failure to pair. The downside is that it comes with a beaver-tooth receiver that will take up one USB-A port (but it can be a port in a hub or in your keyboard.) Great product at a great price.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I have the Logitech M337, its a great WiFi mouse, contoured the same as the M310. the little button on the top launches Expose showing me all open windows on the current Desktop, really useful for quick navigation. It's three years old now and going strong, uses just one battery and has power saver so one battery lasts for 6+ months even with daily use.
If you look closely you can see arrows on either side of the Scroll Wheel, I don't use that function (feels unnatural to me) but they refer to L to R scrolling. You can move the wheel to the left or right. So it can be set up that way but I have not bothered to.

1702951316728.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm guessing that this is what the OP really wants:

Oh my God... Except for Apple's wired hockey puck mouse, I would have to say that Apple Mighty Mouse A115 model was about the worst Mouse I have ever used, but to each their own.

I haven't noticed any comments by the OP as to why they might be so adverse to using a wireless USB mouse as nearly all of them can do what they wants to do as far as scrolling direction Etc. goes. Right you said someone you just

All the Logitech wireless USB mice I have used have been excellent and work as well if not better than any Wired Mouse I have ever used and even their single AA battery powered mice last about 2 years, and the M705 model I also have and use lasts almost 3 years before the batteries are depleted.

Maybe they should re-read my #6 post above regarding my Wireless mice thoughts..

PS: if they are wanting a trackball type Mouse, maybe they should give some consideration to the
Logitech
MX ERGO ADVANCED WIRELESS TRACKBALL

Logitech MX ERGO Advanced Wireless Trackball Mouse - Canada

Or similar...
Kensington Orbit Wireless Trackball Mouse

- Patrick
=======

Last edited:
Reaction score
... nearly all of them can do what they wants to do as far as scrolling direction Etc. goes. ...

The OP wants a mouse where he can scroll right and left as well as up and down. That is an extremely rare feature for the Macintosh. The Apple mouse that I pointed out can do that.

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
I think the key to the query is the word "scroll". I'm pretty sure that the side to side function on the Logitech really only moves the cursor. For true "scrolling" I think a ball type scroll wheel would be required.

Reaction score
For true "scrolling" I think a ball type scroll wheel would be required.

And that's exactly what the Apple Mighty Mouse that I pointed out offers. I think that it's the only mouse specifically made for the Mac that does this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think that it's the only mouse specifically made for the Mac that does this.

I believe some of the Logitech mice models still provide horizontal scrolling with the setup of their appropriate System Preference preference pane but unfortunately the larger tax support state is not the best for outlining and stating what features each most has or doesn't have.

And for them and for and other brands of mice, one can always use the Smart Scrol.app which can provide horizontal scolding on pretty well any any mouse with the additional use of a keyboard key in combination with the scroll wheel. But it's a commercial application, so an additional cost:

Smart Scrol

- Patrick
=======

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 Mac Studio, 11" iPad Pro 3rd Gen, iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch Series 7, AirPods Pro
Check ebay for the Mighty Mouse bluetooth version,

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.